Chapter Seven: Unexpected

Lena woke up around 5:50 in the morning - earlier than she usually does on a school day. She quietly and cautiously untangled herself from Kara's arms and got out of bed, hoping not to disturb the sleeping Kara. Thankfully, she was a deep sleeper. She smiles at her. She's now my girlfriend, Lena thought to herself. I thought this would never happen. Lena shakes her head, then heads down the stairs to make Kara breakfast. That girl could eat a whole buffet. Lena laughs to herself as she remembers last night's events with Kara eating almost the whole pizza.

Lena ties back her hair in a messy ponytail, then gets out the ingredients she needs to make some pancakes. While she's mixing everything together, she hears something from behind her. "I thought you would've slept in longer," she says with a smile on her face. As she turns around, Lena says, "Good morning, lo-" Lena stops herself from continuing what she was about to say. Instead of seeing Kara, she sees her adoptive mother, Lillian Luthor. "Well it's not a good morning anymore," Lena says coldly as she crosses her arms. "What do you want, Lillian?" She asks, practically spitting out her name.

"That is no way to talk to your mother, young lady. And what, a mother can't drop by to see how her lovely daughter is doing?"

Lena leans back against the counter. "Thank you for the compliment, I know I'm lovely," she says calmly. "What I also know is that you are no mother of mine," she says sternly, but remaining calm. "My real mother loved me, cared for me, actually stayed around, did whatever she could to always be there for me," Lena continues as she walks up to the woman, keeping her tone stern. "You only favored Lex, you only loved him, you did everything you could to make sure he succeeded, while you made sure I was the one who always failed. But I never failed, Lillian. I always got right back up. Now I have friends who will always have my back and help me up whenever I fall, who don't care that my last name is Luthor. So don't even come near me, Lillian, I don't need you in my life right now." By now she was in Lillian's face.

Lillian only smirked in response. "Who even knew you had friends? Or even the capability to make some?"

"Who knew someone like Lionel loved you enough to marry you and have Lex?"

The older woman pursed her lips. "Well played, Lena, well played. You might as well be a Luthor after all." Lillian walks towards the door.

"What's that supposed to mean?

Lillian shakes her head as she opens the door. "Oh, nothing, right now," she gives Lena an evil grin. "See you around, Lena." She exits and shuts the door behind her, leaving a very confused Luthor in the kitchen.

<><><><>

While she's flipping pancakes and singing along to Fallin' All in You by Shawn Mendes, trying to forget what happened a few minutes ago, she feels a pair of arms wrap around her waist. Lena grins as she keeps singing and sways to the music.

Be my summer in a winter day, love

I can't see one thing wrong

Between the both of us

Be mine, be mine, yeah

Anytime, anytime

Ooh, you know I've been alone for quite a while
haven't I? I thought I knew it all
Found love but I was wrong
More times than enough
But since you came along
I'm thinking baby

You are bringing out a different kind of me
There's no safety net that's underneath, I'm free
Falling all in
You

"Your voice is beautiful," Kara whispers in her ear.

Lena bites her lip, then turns it into a smile, and turns around to see her girlfriend. "Not as beautiful as yours."

Kara pulls her closer by her waist and kisses Lena with a grin. "Good morning, Lee."

"Good morning, Kara. Now as much as I love being close to you and your lovely self, I would like to not burn these pancakes I'm making, so if you wouldn't mind I'd like to turn around," Lena says with a small smile.

Kara looks behind her to see a huge stack of pancakes. Some with strawberries, some with chocolate chips.

"Leee, you know I don't like strawberries in my pancakes. Or literally in anything," she complains as she lets go of Lena.

Lena turns back to the stove, quickly flipping the pancakes that were on the griddle. "Hey, I'm feeding you, so you better eat them," she says as she throws Kara a quick side glance while she's inspecting the pancakes. Kara pecks Lena quickly on her cheek. 

"Thanks, Lee!" Lena smiles as Kara grabs the plate, a fork, and syrup, and she sat down at the table, with Lena joining her shortly with her plate of pancakes - not having as many pancakes as Kara's -, a fork, and two glasses of orange juice.

After they finish eating, they put the dishes in the sink, go upstairs back to Lena's room and start to get ready for school.

"Lee?" Kara says from the bathroom as she gets out the shower, drying herself off.

"Yes, Kara?" Lena says as she goes through her closet, deciding what to give to Kara to wear to school, and for herself as well.

"I-I don't have any clothes for today," she says sheepishly.

"Don't worry, I have the perfect outfit for you. I mean we're practically the same size, so they should fit. Open the door a bit so I can give it to you."

Kara opens the door a crack wide enough to get the outfit Lena chose for her. "Thanks, Lena!"

"You're very welcome. Now, I will be in the other bathroom, getting myself ready. I'll see you in a few."

Lena shuts the door, gets her outfit, makeup bag, brush, and goes to the other bathroom across the hall.

After she showers, she puts on her outfit - a light green t-shirt, black capri pants, and her Nikes - and puts her hair up in a simple ponytail. After she puts on a bit of makeup, she goes back to her room to put everything down.

"Kara, are you ready...?"

Lena's last words trail off as she sees Kara sitting on her bed, wearing her blue t-shirt, a red and white flannel over that, and black ripped jeans with her Vans she wore yesterday. Kara stands up and flattens down her shirt, then adjusts her glasses. "W-what?" She asked a little shyly.

Lena walks up to her and takes her hands. "You look amazing, Kar. The blue really brings out your eyes."

"Well I can say the same for you, e-except your eyes aren't blue, they're a-an emerald green and they're r-really beautiful," Kara says stuttering a bit, looking into Lena's eyes.

Lena kissed her. "You're adorable when you're flustered," she says as she grins, and Kara smiles and blushes in response. "Now come on, we don't want to be late."

They both grab their bags and phones and go downstairs. Lena grabs her earbuds and keys, and they both go out the door, with Lena locking it behind them. They hold each other's hand as they walk to school.

**TEN MINUTES LATER**

The two girls arrived at the bus loop to see Sam there already waiting.

"Hey guys," Sam says as they approach her.

"Morning, Sam," Lena says as Kara waves with her free hand. She turns to Kara. "You can go inside and talk with our friends. I'll catch up with you later."

"Okie. See you later, Sam," she says before she quickly pecks Lena's cheek. "Bye, Lena." Kara goes in the doors and into the gym, leaving Lena alone with an open-mouthed Sam.

"Now that was..."

"Unexpected?" Lena offered as she finished her sentence, smirking at her best friend. "I'm a Luthor, we do the unexpected."

A/N: DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN ANY OF SHAWN MENDES LYRICS