Prologue

BELLA

When we're young, we don't often see just how easy life is for us and it is only as we grow older that we realize with age comes more problems- some bigger than others. This was why at the time, my biggest problem, the only thing that gave me a heartache was that he was leaving Michigan and I had less than an hour left to spend with him.

"One more time around the block?", I asked as we paused in front of my parents' house for the fifth time that night.

He smirked, "Bella...", his voice was soft, "I don't want you getting into trouble. Your Dad isn't really my number one fan", he added, his lips curving into a sweet smile. His smile had always been my favorite smile and he had always been my favorite person. If it was possible that night, I would have walked around the block with him until dawn.

I tugged his arm, "C'mon Wade, please", I whined, "this is the last stroll, I promise", I added grinning.

"That's what you said the last three times"

I shrugged, not wanting to reply.

He chuckled, his hazel eyes lighting up under the moonlight, "okay, one more time", he held onto my hand and we walked past my house.

There was silence in the street for a while then the distinct croak of a frog and cricket sounds could be heard. I heard laughter from a house nearby. When I looked at Wade, he was staring right ahead, his jaw clenched, his face rigid and deep in thought. I thought he looked perfect.

"You're staring Bella"

I bit my bottom lip.

He looked down at me and smiled, "what's on your mind?", I asked.

"How much I'm going to miss this place", he said, "and you", he looked away.

"I'm going to miss you too", my chest ached as I spoke. I tried not to think of how much time I had left. I had to make the most of it. "So, you'll be staying with your Dad", I tried to change the topic.

"Yeah...", he trailed, "I hope he's not as much of an asshole as my mom painted him out to be though", he furrowed his eyebrows.

"I'm sure he's not".

"You think?", he asked

I nodded and smiled at him as we continued the walk, drinking in the silence. His hand tightened around mine in a comforting manner but I could feel my insides being gnawed. We were getting closer to my house again and this time, I wouldn't be able to talk him into staying because it was getting late. He would have to leave. It would be over between us. The thought hung in the air for a moment and then like poison, it seeped into every pore in my skin and my heart ached.

"What's going to happen when I'm gone?", Wade asked as we stopped. I turned to look at my house. the light on the front porch was turned on but the windows were dark so I knew my parents were waiting.

"What do you mean?", I faced him.

He lifted his hand, placing his thumb on my cheek and rubbing it lightly, "are we going to keep in touch?", he asked.

"Yes", I said quickly, making him smile.

"I'm going to come back here Bella, at least for you", he said, pulling me in for a hug. His scent filled my nostrils, paralyzing my body so I didn't want to let go. I wanted to pause time, to remain with him on that spot forever, "I want you to know that no matter what, I'm going to come back", he added.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and closed my eyes tight to fight back tears. This was the moment I had been dreading all day. He released me and planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Time to go in", he said, his voice breaking.

"Will I see you before you go tomorrow?", I asked.

"I'll try but if you don't get to-", he said, "-I hope you know that I love you"

I nodded and forced a smile, "I know", I said, "and I love you too"

As I walked towards the door, tears streamed down my cheeks. Memories of the past four years flashed back into my mind. Wade had been with me throughout my years in high school but everything changed the day he lost his mother.

I paused at the door and looked back to see him standing there. He waved and I waved back before opening the door to go into the house. As I shut it, a thick flow of tears fell from my eyes like water from a dam and I could feel my body shake. The pain and thoughts that had seeped into me now flowed out of every pore. That night, I cried as though it had the power to stop him from leaving but it didn't.

That was ten years ago and a lot can change in ten years.

I wish I had listened to my Dad when he said; high school relationships don't usually go on forever.