TWO

The next morning, I felt better than I was the night before. It was a Saturday. I particularly loved Saturdays because they meant no work and more time spent with Stacy. My eyes flickered open to stare at the white ceiling. There were two large windows to the right of the bed, both covered by square black curtains run at the top on long white curtain holders. The curtains swayed into the room mysteriously and coming through them were the sounds of car honks from the road below and a mechanical drill being used by construction workers nearby.

The wallpaper in my room was beige. My mom had thought it was a really nice color and I didn't object. On the left side was a small door leading to my cluttered bathroom. I made a mental note to clean my room the next day as I sat up from the bed, gazing at my reflection in the old-fashioned gilt mirror right above my dresser. My dark hair was in a tousled mess and although I was pretty sure I had gotten over nine hours of sleep, I could still see tired lines outlining below my eyes and sleep bags hanging from them.

I pulled the large furry blankets off me as I got out of bed, releasing a tired yawn from my lips. I wiped my eyes with both eyes and slipped on my favorite pair of panda slippers before standing and walking out of the room.

As I got closer to the living area, I could hear Stacy's faint chuckles and the sound of the tv. When I finally got there, I saw her watching cartoons.

"Grow up Stace", I muttered.

"They help me escape reality, don't you judge me", she said without taking her eyes off the tv.

I sat next to her; my eyes fixed on the flickering screen. Vibrantly colored characters moved across it and I struggled to focus and find exactly what Stacy thought was so interesting about them. I couldn't figure it out so I settled for just watching without understanding. Stacy continued to laugh.

Minutes later, there was a knock at the door. She glanced at it first and then at me.

"What?", I looked up at her and asked.

"Well, I'm not going to get it", she said, "you go"

I rolled my eyes with a sigh and stood. As I walked towards the door, she chuckled again and a loud comical "boing!" came from the tv. When I got to the door, I opened it but there was no one there. I peeped out into the hallway, glancing to the left first and then to the right. It was as silent as a graveyard and I sighed, the couple who lived down the hall had twin children who loved to play pranks. I had no doubt it was them until I noticed a bouquet of flowers lying on the floor in front of me. I picked it up, glancing briefly around the hallway again, just in case anyone was watching before closing the door.

Stacy took her eyes off the tv as I walked towards her, "aw, who's that for?", she asked in a curious tone.

"I don't know", I said, my gaze fixed on the bouquet of flowers. I ran my fingers over them; purple asters, red roses and white daises. They were all my favorites.

"Is there a card?", Stacy asked, "there's usually a card"

I searched through it for a label or a card and found one stuck in it. It was small and white, fit firmly in between the roses. I took it out, turning it between my fingers. Sprawled in blank ink and cursive handwriting were two words.

For Bella...

"It's for Bella", I looked up at Stacy and say.

"You're Bella", she grinned.

"Yes, I am"

"Is it from Noah?", she asked

"I don't know, it doesn't say anything else", I proceeded to sit next to her, still staring at the little card.

Stacy grabbed the flowers from my hands and placed them in front of her nose, taking in their scent, "Oh my God, these smell so good!", she exclaimed, "call Noah and thank him"

"What if they're not from him?", I asked, "Noah is not exactly the type to leave mysterious gifts at my door, you know"

"Maybe he decided to switch his game up a bit, add a little spice to the relationship", she winked.

I rolled my eyes and looked around the room. My phone lay on the table in front of us where I left it last night. I picked it up and dialed Noah's number. Stacy grinned at me as I listened to it ring until he picked up.

"Hey", I said

"Good morning Bella, did you sleep well?", he asked in a soft tone.

My boyfriend, Noah and I had been dating for close to a year but he was still always a little too formal with me. We met at a fourth of July party months before we started dating and we got closer and spent more time together. Noah and I had an innocent relationship. Stacy called us boring and she always thought Noah was a bit weird but I happened to think he was really nice, caring supportive and loving. He was pretty hard working most of the time but he never hesitated to put my needs before his.

"Yeah, did you?", I asked.

"I tried", he said amusingly.

I glanced at Stacy, biting my lip.

"I called to say thank you for the flowers", I said softly playing with the card in between my fingers.

"What flowers?", he asked in a confused tone.

I opened my eyes wide at Stacy and shook my head.

"Wait, so you didn't send flowers to my apartment?", I asked Noah.

"No, why?", he asked, "did you receive flowers?"

Stacy shook her head with a horrified expression on her face, mouthing the words 'NO' and 'ABORT'

"O-oh no reason, it's just that these flowers were d-delivered here and we thought it was from you to m-me", I stuttered, "it must be for Stacy", I cleared my throat and added.

"Oh okay", I heard him say, "you want to hang out today?", he asked.

"Can't, I have to go see my mom", I replied.

"Okay, say hi to her for me", he said, "love you", he added.

"Yeah, love you too", I said before hanging up.

"So, it's not from Noah then?!", Stacy whispered loudly.

"No, it's not", I said, "I had to lie so he won't get jealous "

She nodded thoughtfully. Then a playful smile appeared on her lips, "do you know what this means?", she asked.

"What?", I asked confusingly.

"You have a secret admirer!"

"W-what?"

Stacy grinned, "there's someone out there who is hungry for Bella!", she said.

"It sounds so wrong when you put it that way", I mumbled and she laughed

"It could be that weird guy from work", she snapped her fingers repeatedly, "what's his name again?"

"Danny? No", I said, "Danny doesn't have time to buy flowers or be nice, he's pretty straightforward with his intentions if you ask me", I shivered at the thought.

Stacy's eyebrows furrowed, "Hmmm, okay", she grabbed the flowers and stood, "I'll go keep these in a place where they won't die", she added before walking towards the kitchen, "Bella has a secret admirer!", she sang to herself in an annoying tone.

"Shut up Stacy", I yelled and from the kitchen, I heard her laugh

I stared at the card in my hand and read the words again.

For Bella...

But from whom?