Chapter 8; when impossible becomes possible- well, you're screwed.

Thanks for 9000 reads and 1000 followers! That means a lot, I never thought I would reach that if I'm honest but I'm super grateful. I try to reply to everyone and I try to thank every one of you guys, but my notifications have been large and honestly, sometimes I'm lost because there's so many of you! So here's to every person that reads quietly, to those that vote, to those that comment, to those that add this book to their reading lists and to those who enjoy it. Thank you!

 * * *

Colden didn't think he'd find himself sitting at this hospital bed again. But there he was, sitting with a heavy and beating heart watching as his mate- who he had watched plunge to her death- breathed. 

He didn't know why. Doctor Eaton was just as confused as he but here she was back from the dead as if she had never died. The first hour after she had come to life he thought that it was all a nightmare. But her blood still stained the ground and Doctor Eaton's face was nothing but off shock...

The question was- what was she? She was not a wolf and he did not smell her humanity at the club...yet something dark lay beneath her skin, something that had the animal in him skittish. He didn't know what it was and he didn't think Alice did either.

Although, it wasn't like she would tell him.

The disappointment on her face when he had told her that she had died but was somehow living would be something he would never forget. Colden expected her to cry and breakdown but she had shot up in a fit of fury, yelling and screaming at how unfair the world was- at how much she hated him and what he made her.

He could only hold her against his chest until the Doctor came, letting his female punish him for what he had done. He deserved it, after all.

Colden knew from that point on that she had tried to kill herself before. Yet she was here, unscathed as if her neck had never broken, as if he had never laid his head down on her chest and heard nothing.

Doctor Eaton had no choice but to sedate her. There were matters to handle at this point on and he needed to answer questions that he didn't know how to approach. His pack felt her come back. It wasn't something he could pretend didn't happen.

Tom stepped into the hospital room with a bouquet of daffodils. He smiled as he stood at the opposite end of the bed, his other hand tucked into the pockets of his jeans. "Mrs Miriam gave this for Alice. They're meant to be a sign of rebirth and new beginnings."

Colden wasn't sure Alice would appreciate that symbology but he had no heart to tell his Delta to put them elsewhere. He motioned to the sink where he knew there was a glass waiting. As Tom prepared the flowers, silence resumed; Alice's breathing was the only thing that surrounded them and the only thing that mattered. He was afraid to leave in case she slipped from his fingers. He knew that she didn't want his affection or for him to hold her hand...that was something that he knew he may never get from her if she were awake.

Yet she had died and Colden was scared that she wouldn't wake up. He would not be able to lose her one more time. The sound of her body hitting the ground played like a ringtone around him.

"How...how is she?" Tom's voice was soft, hesitant even as if he were scared to startle the Alpha. Colden met his eyes in a fleeting moment. Bags hang beneath them and his hair was unwashed. There was no doubt that he looked like a wreck himself.

"She's..." no words formed in his mouth. He rubbed his forehead in exhaustion, "I don't know, I just..." Colden sighed, his head in his hands. Alice's scent assaulted his nose and he breathed in hoping that it would relax him. He met his Delta's eyes, "how is she supposed to feel when she had come back from the dead? I can't even begin to wrap my head around that, and to have heard her yell about how she wished that she could die..." He swallowed, "what am I supposed to do? If word got out..."