Ch. 18

I'm still answering emails and going through Alix's schedule for the next couple of weeks, when from the corner of my eye I see him stand up. I glance at the clock, its nearing 7 o'clock. He turns off his computer and picks up his suit jacket, shrugging it on.

"Its a little early isn't it?" I ask, curiously. I know he said he only needed an hour, but he's said that before.

    He looks at me, obviously reading my tone. Our eyes lock and it becomes a staring contest. Until he walks over to me and gestures to the door. I roll my eyes and shut off my computer, leaving the rest of the work for tomorrow. I grab my purse and we walk to through the office and to our waiting car.

I smile when I see Lou. "Early night. What will you do with yourself?" I ask, teasingly.

He smirks back, "Netflix and chill, as you young people say."

I laugh and hold out my hand for a high five, "Get it, Lou. Say hello to Shaylene for me." I reply, sliding into the car.

"What do we have on the books for the next three days?" Alix questions, as soon as the car starts to move.

I look it up on my phone, "You have a meeting with Debra Dillinger another counsel member looking to endorse the expansion."

"When is that?" He questions, plotting something in his head.

"Tomorrow at 2."

"And after that?"

"You're free, no meetings. Just the usual headaches." I tell him, putting my phone back in my purse.

"We'll leave for the New York Port after the meeting. Be sure to have the secretary come in all week even when we're not here. I don't want to play catch up when we get back."

"Her name is, Lindsay." I remind him. "She knows what she's doing. I'm impressed so far." I say, honestly.

Alix turns towards me, "Colton asked me if I only hired pretty women to work for me."

I scoff. "You hired him. So, obviously that's not true." I point out.

"He asked about you, specifically." He states, something in his tone has me on edge.

I glance up at him. "And?"

He looks down at me, "And I didn't like it."

I pause, thinking about his response. "Tell me you didn't fire him."

"I didn't fire him." He replies.

I breathe a sigh of relief. "Then what was the point of telling me?" I ask, as the car stops. He climbs out and I do the same, waving at Lou as he drives away. I mean if he was replacing Neville I would need to know, but why just inform me that the man was interested in me?

"Are you going to answer my question?" I ask, as we near the elevators.

"I got angry." He replies, perplexed.

I laugh. "So?"

"I've never been angry about something like this. He asked me about you and I wanted to kill him." He states, waiting for me to step into the elevator. I finally move and he joins me, hitting the button to take us to the top floor.

"You got jealous." I state, not understanding his confused state.

He nods, as if he's finally understanding. "I got jealous."

I try not to laugh, but his forlorn look is just too pathetic. "Oh, stop. It happens to everyone."

"To you?" He asks, interested.