Ch. 19

Glancing at the time I see that Debra Dillinger is due in another half hour, I've finished up the work I want done before we fly out, skipping lunch to do it. Bad weather has delayed some shipments at the New York Port, causing massive port confusion and customer complaints. Its an easy fix, but our operations supervisor, whom I kept employed after the buyout has decided to resign without giving his two week notice. No doubt from my consistent overseeing and mandatory daily reports.

    I will have to find the right person to fill the position, someone I can trust to show up at work to do their job. Marcus Newman is not that man. With a string of excuses and for late reports and his inability to make it to work on time or at all, is growing tiresome. Working from home might've been acceptable to his former employer, however, I took exception. The only thing I'm angry about is that I didn't foresee this happening. The Port doesn't have a lot of turn over, it pays well, has good benefits and is a steady full-time job.

"Do we know anything about Mrs. Dillinger?" I ask, thumbing through the files that Samatha placed on my desk.

I sense her hesitation, "She called us. She wants to be involved. You still want me to look her up?" She questions, confused, but I know this isn't a done deal. Its always good to know what you're walking into. I hate surprises, much like with that slacker idiot, Ben Albertson.

"Yes, I don't want any surprises like with Albertson." I reply, careful to keep my voice calm.

I see her smirk. "You think you've flirted with her before?" She jokes and walks back to my desk to do a little research.

    I watch her the whole time. I'm aware that I have feelings for her, even the thought of her flirting with another man has my blood pressure on the rise. She is mine, for now. However, it is still temporary and something I will have to remedy.

I watch as she brings me a piece of paper with a picture on it and I see from where I'm sitting a dark haired woman. She looks like a million other women that I've met. If we have been introduced before I wouldn't be able to remember.

"This is her." She states, distracting me as she leans over and places it on the desk in front of me.

"Anything else?" I question, holding myself back. I find that I require a steady stream of work to keep myself from taking her here at the office, something I know she has an issue with. Which is hard for me, because every time I look at her I want her just as badly as I did the first time.

"She's married to the chief of Police and her birthday is next week." She answers, not being very helpful. "I really don't think you need a full report on her, with the other members already backing us, she wants to do the same. It would make her look bad if she refused the city an influx of jobs. You already own the land, it's purely politics now." She assure's me. However, I'm not really listing nor do I care for more information on Mrs. Dillinger. I just want her to bend over the desk again.

Knowing I need to focus, I look back down to the file, continuing to read through the paperwork.

"Do you need me here when she comes?" I hear her ask.

I glance up. "Why?"

"I was thinking of borrowing Lindsay's car and going to get something to eat, want me to bring you anything?"

"Just order something and have it brought in." I reply, going back to work.

"Forget it." She grumbles, walking back to her desk. I watch her, knowing she wants to get out of the office...No, not without me.

    Twenty minutes later there's a soft knock on the door and the new secretary opens it admitting Mrs. Dillinger, which annoys me. Samantha always answers the door. I don't like people walking into my office unless they are admitted. I'll have to tell Samantha to remind her that she is never to open the door. I stand up and watch as Samatha greets the tall brunette.