↳ THIRTY-FIVE

MOST PEOPLE HATED hospitals and their bleak atmosphere, and while Isadora usually agreed, this time, she was actually happy about the flavorless food and the eerie hallways — even the repetitive beep coming from the machine that, eventually, p...

    MOST PEOPLE HATED hospitals and their bleak atmosphere, and while Isadora usually agreed, this time, she was actually happy about the flavorless food and the eerie hallways — even the repetitive beep coming from the machine that, eventually, pulled her back to consciousness from the deep sleep she had fallen into after being taken there. Maybe it was because it was easy to affiliate a hospital with death, only for this time to remind her of life and how lucky she was to be still kicking. They had saved her life, Lucifer had saved her life, and somehow, that had helped her sleep well for the first time in a while. It was strange to think that she had almost died, but perhaps the near-death experience had made everything else a little less strange in return, and she was slowly regaining hope and trust.

         "Oh, sweetie", Diane's voice was the final thing to wake Izzy up for good, the noise of the machines attached to her fading away as her hazel eyes finally opened and she found her distressed mother fidgeting next to her bed. It was obvious that for as long as Izzy had been asleep, Diane had never moved, and the affection she was luckier than ever to have, made the younger Holt crack a faint smile.

        "Hi, mom", her voice was still threatening to break under the weight of her words and her throat was beyond sore, but the worst was over and whatever was left of the pain no longer bothered her. She was okay now, she had survived, and the joy of that was obvious in the gentle squeeze she gave Diane's hand. "Have you eaten anything?", Izzy frowned softly, and chuckling, her mother glanced down and shook her head, partly as an answer and partly in disbelief at her words.

         "Don't you worry about me. I am so, so glad to see that you are okay. And I am so grateful for Lucifer. Does he like pie? I should bake him a pie", Diane sighed, a happy smile on her lips as she held Izzy's hand gingerly. Hoarsely, Isadora laughed, though she was sure Lucifer wouldn't dare to turn down Diane's baking skills — no one could, after all. "What has been going on lately? You've barely talked or eaten until today and then you get... poisoned? I don't think I could have lived with myself knowing that I didn't—didn't try harder, that the last I saw you was in that bed, more upset than... well, in a long time", her mother began to rant, tears building up in her eyes as she foolishly allowed herself to imagine the pain of losing a child, her only child, and already, guilt was seeping into Izzy's weary bones.

        Blinking away the same sadness, she sighed and held Diane's hand a little tighter, as much as her state allowed. "It's not your fault, mom. And you did try hard. Really hard. I was just... I had a bad, bad fight with Maze and it left me in a dark spot. But, it's okay — or, at least I'll try to work it out, I guess", Izzy wondered out loud while her thoughtful eyes trailed from Diane to the end of the hospital bed. She was still scared, but she hadn't been — she had been more than capable of being close to Mazikeen, and she had been a demon all that time, too. Maybe now, there were a lot scarier things in the world than the woman she had already fallen for.