42. warriors

Finn was right, his idea was a bad one, a really bad one. He wanted to lure the Reapers towards our camp to distract the Grounders so to say. We all knew the plan was risky, so that's probably why Finn was sending me back to camp rather than letting me follow along. We had gone over our options, and although risky, it was safer for me to make the trek back to camp alone.

"Do you have enough ammo?" Finn asked as we prepared to leave the safety of Lincoln's cave.

I glanced down at my gun, "Let me check." I muttered, pulling out the clip to see how many bullets I had left. I froze, zero, I had zero bullets.

I guess my face gave it away because Finn caught it instantly, "What's wrong?"

I but my lip, giving him a sheepish look, "I don't have any." I mumbled so quietly I thought he didn't hear me at first.

But of course he heard me, "How do you not have any ammo?" he demanded.

I threw my arms up, "I forgot to check the clip before I left! Bellamy was distracting me and I don't know, I'm not a gun expert okay?"

Finn shook his head in annoyance, "I can't let you roam through the forest with no protection..." he trailed off, trying to think of what we could do.

Lincoln, who wasn't impressed with the hold up, cut in, "We don't have time for this," he grumbled, rushing across the cave, picking something up before shoving it into my hands, "Here"

I stared down at the object, it was a bow and arrow. I had read about these in books and I had seen the Grounders use them but I had never actually seen one up close. I glanced up at Lincoln, "What do you want me to do with this?"

He furrowed his brows, "I want you to use it to protect yourself, what else?"

I turned it over in my hands, "But I don't know how to shoot it."

He turned me towards the exit, "You'll figure it out. If you hurry up you hopefully won't have to use it at all."

I sighed as I threw the strap of the empty gun over one shoulder as I threw the quiver over the other. The bottle of medicine was shoved into my jacket pocket.

Before I could leave I spun around, pulling Finn into a tight hug, "I love you. Be safe." I mumbled, pressing my face into his shoulder.

He hugged me back, so tight I could feel his heart beating rapidly, he was terrified, "I love you too. I'll see you soon."

We pulled away and I gave Lincoln a small wave before climbing up the ladder that lead out of the cave. Once I was outside I began running. I ran faster than I ever had, keeping my eyes and ears open as I made my way through the dark forest.

The bow was clutched tightly in my hand. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to use it, but I wanted to be prepared no matter what. As I ran all that could run through my mind was whether or not Finn was okay. I was terrified that he wouldn't make it back to camp tonight.

Soon enough, the lights of camp came into my view and I let out a small sigh of relief. The feeling of relief didn't last long however, as the outside of out gates soon came into view. There were Grounders, hundreds of them at least, making their way towards our walls.

I pushed myself to hurry, slipping into one of the fox holes. I all but threw myself into it, letting out rapid breaths as I tried to calm down, my eyes were closed as I focused on my breathing.

"Where the hell did you come from?" My eyes shot open to see Nathan Miller hovering overtop of me, starring down at me in confusion.

I sat up, pulling the bow onto my lap, "It's a long story." I paused, my eyes falling back out into the forest which was covered in Grounders, "How are we doing?" I asked.