fourteen

THREE MONTHS LATER...

SHE WAS ECSTATIC, her relationship with Giovanni had blossomed into perfection in the months after their first date.  It almost seemed like the world was brighter, classes were easier, and she always had a skip in her step.  Nothing could possibly go wrong, not with such passion and love in her life.  Genevieve often reflected on how her life would be now if she'd never encountered Giovanni in Mary's cafe that day.  Would she be as happy?  Would her anxiety still be prevalent and detrimental to her mental health?

     The answers are vague, but Genevieve knew that without Giovanni, she wouldn't know the feeling of a burning, aching love.  She had known for a week that she was in love with him and she loved him.  He was her best friend, besides Clarissa, Mary, Harvey, and her grandfather, and he was the love of her life.  The only thing was that she couldn't find the courage to tell him how she felt.  She would try, and then he'd kiss her and she'd forget.  That and be too scared of losing his warmth if he didn't feel the same.

     Soon, she would tell him soon.  Or at least that was what she told herself time and time again.  There was nothing more to do than just wait patiently for him to bring up the subject of the 'L' word.  For now, though, she would just relish in her feelings for him and the peace and comfort he offered her.  Oh, and she couldn't forget his kisses.  They left her feeling weightless, and was it a feeling!  There was nothing she'd enjoy more than one of his loving caresses and a careful, delicate kiss to her waiting lips.  It was pure bliss!

     Tonight he would be coming over her house to officially meet her grandfather and Petal and dine with them.  She felt a bit of trepidation at the notion of her grandfather not accepting the love of her life, but she pushed that to the side for now.  She needed to focus on the lecture.  Exams were coming soon, and she needed to be prepared for anything.  Winter, even though it was awfully mild, had passed and spring was on its way.  Winter holidays had passed, and she spent the time with her loved ones—she even went out for dinner with Giovanni in a gorgeous restaurant his friend owned.

     Once the lecture had ended, she shot up from her seat and shoved her items in her bag.  Genevieve needed all the time she had to prepare for dinner tonight.  As she ran out the door, she bumped into someone, causing her to stumble back.  She almost fell over too, if it wasn't for the hand that thrusted out and grabbed her arm just in time.

Genevieve looked up to see the same girl who had knocked her over months ago. The girl stood in front of her with a small, apologetic smile. "I'm really sorry about that." She thrusted her hand out, "I'm Megan."

Genevieve felt her heart rate pick up. Social situations destroyed her nerves completely. She could barely utter a word to anyone unless she was in a comfortable environment with people she knew surrounding her. "G-Genevieve, n-nice to m-meet you."

Megan grinned as she approached Genevieve. "As an apology, could I buy you a coffee or something?" Genevieve wrung her hands together as she avoided Megan's bright eyes. She felt bad that she was going to have to decline, for she couldn't spend any time not preparing for the dinner. Megan seemed like a very nice person, but she had no choice but to decline her offer.

"I'm r-really sorry, b-but I have plans a-already." She paused as she gnawed on her lip before making up her mind. "But I can g-give you my n-number so we c-could hang out s-sometime." Genevieve looked up to see Megan's face fall, only to brighten again with a wide smile.

"Sure! I'd love that!" She and Genevieve exchanged numbers as the time to prepare for the dinner slowly ticked away. After that, Genevieve sent her a wave before running down the hallway to meet her grandfather in the parking lot. He had taken the day off so he could help Genevieve with cooking and cleaning. The house was immaculate, but a worried Genevieve could spot even the smallest errors and messes.