Chapter 3

"You do know that you've been acting weird this past week, don't you?" Jisoo told Jennie out of the blue. They were hanging out at Jisoo's favorite café that offered free books for reading and private salons.

Jisoo loved to read. A bookworm, by definition. And she was the one responsible of Jennie reading the Wuthering Heights. Jisoo thought it would do good for Jennie, reading. And although the book was about an undying love, it was also dealing with death and how to deal with the loss of a loved one. And Jisoo perfectly knew that Jennie was needing a good distraction, even though her bestfriend would never admit it to her. And Heathcliff would be a good distraction.

"You mean, weirder than I normally am?" Jennie asked. "Because I don't think that's still news, Chu. Weird is my middle name," she said jokingly and tried to laugh.

"I mean weird like you've been stirring the contents of your cup for the last ten minutes now and you haven't even touched your pastry. That kind of weird?" Jisoo replied. "You love that rainbow cake and that rainbow drink, yes?" she added and pointed the untouched big slice of rainbow-colored food in front of Jennie. "And I hate to break this to you, Jendeuk. But you're not weird. Never was, never will."

"I'm not hungry," Jennie told Jisoo with a sigh, instead of engaging to debate about her weirdness, and pushed the saucer away from her.

Jennie did not even try to hide the fact that she sounded tired and troubled. There was no point hiding it from Jisoo, anyway. Because Chu could see through her and because she had finally realized that she wanted badly to talk about the thing that had been bothering her for days now.

Jisoo put her copy of Murakami down on the table and snatched the pink straw away from Jennie's grasp, which Jennie was using to disturbed the contents of her cup. And surprisingly, Jennie did not even protest. Which only made Jisoo's hunch that Jennie was acting weird today.

"What is it? Is it about the chairmanship again?" Jisoo asked, concern was on her voice.

Jisoo thought Jennie looked dishevelled beneath the elegant designer clothes that she was wearing and the finesse that she was displaying. And it was so un-Jennie-like. Maybe it was more than the chairmanship, Jisoo thought.

Jennie shook her head and said, "No. I've stopped giving a damn about that thing already, Chu. That thing won't bother me anymore, unless I'll allow it."

And that confirmed Jisoo's hunch that something was off with Jennie. Because the only thing that could trouble the usually calm mind of Jennie Kim was the task given to her by the old President Kim. And whenever Jisoo would ask about it, Jennie would quickly rant about how unfair the universe had been for taking away her father from her.

"Did some stupid journalist write something about you again? I swear they're like vultures! I've talked to Dad about it. He said his I.T. people are handling it already," Jisoo said reassuringly.

But Jennie, for the second time, shook her head, sighed and pouted.

"I don't know, Chu. I haven't been online for a week now," Jennie replied. Which was a lie. Because just last night, while she was laying on her bed and surfing the Internet, she hadcome across an article from Thought Catalog about the thing that was bothering her. Which she thought had made sense about the thing that had been bothering her. Only to wake up this morning feeling more confused as ever.

"Then what is it?" the frustrated Jisoo asked. "You can tell me anything. You know that, right?"

Jennie fidgeted on her seat and suddenly clasped her both hands together. Something that Jisoo recognized as a sign that Jennie was nervous and uncomfortable.