Chapter Twenty-Seven: Formula

“We didn’t start the fire, it was always burning since the world's been turning,” sang Lucas lightly. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah we did. Well, actually, you did, not me,” I replied. We both laughed, a sound that warmed the room more than the fire did.

“And that my dear, answers your final question in our game of twenty questions,” snickered Lucas. At this point, the fire was down to it’s final novel, and the room was so dimly lit Lucas’s eyes seemed almost hollow. It was like when a little kid holds a flashlight under their face to tell a scary story. But I wasn’t scared, seeing as Lucas’s warm arm was casually slung over my shoulder as if he had been holding me all his life. It was so strange. Three days, and our relationship was thrown completely topsy-turvy.

I sighed contently, images of home flooding my mind as I thought about the rescue tomorrow. My father’s chocolates, my cherry-blossom bedspread, and my little dog Muffin would be there to greet me with open hearts. Best of all, I could take a real shower with something other than hand soap.

“… and then maybe we could go see a movie or something,” said Lucas. I blinked a few times, embarrassment rippling off me like rings around a stone tossed in the water.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” I spit out. Casting my eyes downward, I started blushing when Lucas let out a knowing laugh.

“Okay Miss Space Cadet, I was just planning our next date. You know, once this whole snowstorm thing is settled. I was thinking Olive Garden and then a showing of…. What’s the name of that new Disney flick?”

“Brave,” I answered automatically “And what makes you think we’re going on another date?” As soon as the words escaped my mouth the mood in the room dropped, causing regret to wash over me. I went numb as a silence fell upon the room like party poison. Holding my breath, I prayed that Lucas would just let it go.

“What?” he whispered. That warm arm left my shoulders. I missed it. I wanted him to hold me again.

It was pathetic.

I stayed silent and avoided Lucas’s gaze, but I could see from the corner of my eye that he was looking at me like a wide-eyed Halloween decoration. The similarity was disconcerting honestly. Sparing a glance at his eyes, the weight squashing my heart got even worse. His face showed absolute shock, but his eyes were as hard as sapphires, the rejection etched like a hieroglyphic.

“Natalie, answer me,” he said. It was obvious he was trying to make his voice sound demanding, but it was harsh like his throat was made of sandpaper and it cracked like lightening. I could hear a shakiness in it too, making my heart choke.

“Nat,” he pleaded. I sighed.

“Lucas, I’m sorry but… we can’t… I can’t… it just wouldn’t work,” I squeaked out. I put my face in my hands, shocked when I felt hot tears hit my palms. The silence smothered me, but the aching in my chest overwhelmed it.

A million thoughts ran through my mind at once.

There was one day left, one day of teacher’s lounge food and Lucas’s kisses. But it was time to face the facts that after this, life would resume as always. I wouldn’t be national news anymore, my dad would go back to work, and my violin lessons would start up again. Soon everyone would forget this whole mess even happened. Even Lucas. Even me! My life wasn’t some silly fan fiction, it was time to grow up and face the fact that Lucas and I didn’t really have a future. Sure, there was the off chance we could last in a relationship for maybe a few months, but then he would go back to his old ways and we would hate each other again. That was all. It wasn’t worth throwing away my little scrap of a relationship with my mother, who would not approve of us dating at all. Just thinking about going on a real date made me so awkward, I didn’t even want to describe it. There were enough logical reasons not to date Lucas that I was able to tell my heart to shut up and get with the program. It was an easy formula to follow, one that I had become quite good at over the years: don’t get attached.

But that was all in theory. Having a brokenhearted Lucas standing before me was a whole different story. It was like someone who had trained to become a doctor their whole life passing out during their first pig- heart dissection. Doubt and worry raced through my veins at an alarming rate, it all hurt too much.

I heard footsteps. Looking up, I saw Lucas turn around and walk into the darkness.

A/N-- That was so sad to write, it almost killed me. New chapter tomorrow! Now a few things to check out:

1. My vlog. Link on profile.

2. My best friend Katybug1337's story Drowning Lessons. Its my new obsession.

Thanks for the love guys, you are the best fans ever! <3 <3