Chapter Twenty-Four

JAKE

"The werewolf scent system is quite remarkable

"The werewolf scent system is quite remarkable." The dark god mused. From his tone Jake knew a smug smile was gracing his face. The kind of smile a vainglorious man would have as he admired his genius work.

Umbran reclined on another throne like chair as he watched Nia approaching a heavily scarred young warrior through what he had called a worlds mirror. The god had explained the mirror was made of ether and could see into any world, even the hidden ones.

"Any magic user can make one," was the god's offhand explanation, as if the ability to spy on anyone was nothing to remark upon.

He turned to Jake who stood a half step behind his throne. "Your noses do not just scent in the normal way," he explained. "That flavour you ascribe to scent is meant to tell you the nature of a person. I've heard some of your kind say rouges smell of death, decay and all manner of dissolution. And a mate," he closed his eyes and sighed as if savoring the thought. "Her scent would be divine, incomparable."

Opening his eyes, the god tore into Jake with those lightless holes, causing a thrill to bath through him at being noticed, at the pain that invariably came with it. "Tell me how it was to realize she was yours." Umbran commanded as he released Jake from his gaze, once more focusing on the unfolding events.

However long Jake had been in Umbran's realm, by earth standard time, he'd lived a year with the god. In that time he'd come to know the god well, as much as a mortal could. The dark god was obsessed with details, he liked being aware of everything happening in his realm, and could focus on or be is six places at once. So he knew Umbran was very much aware of him.

"As you recall my lord, I did not appreciate her." Jake replied with due formality.

A negligent hand waved that off, "Yes, yes. But before your mind got in the way, what was your first instinct?"

One of the 'lessons' from Umbran had been in putting himself into a memory, a moment. To relive it and share with the god. Unwilling to, but knowing he no longer had a right to choose his own path, Jake closed his eyes and brought his awareness to the one moment he'd avoided thinking about. The moment he'd destroyed his life.

Jake sprawled by the poolside surrounded by his core group. Including a beta that should've been a delta, but since his true beta and gamma had turned against him, he'd made do. One day, he promised himself, he'd deal with them. That list seemed to be growing but he wouldn't think about it, today was for fun. He didn't have many of those days being an Alpha and all.

While it was still a bit chilly, the young crowd had come to the pool but unlike them he had his own private one. Built on the roof of the pack house, walled by one way mirrors and roofed, few even knew it was there. From there he could watch the communal pool and that sight never got old.