6- Murderers!

Sya's POV:

Hannah seemed to be really impressed by that boy named Bryson. He was with us at lunch the whole time and he brought with him the one and only boy, whose presence was the last thing I wanted at the time.

Hey! But why blame someone else when you're the one who has a shit fate! I don't understand what his problem is? It seems like he desperately wants to ignore my existence yet he can't help but lure me into his unfairly gorgeous eyes.

After college Hannah's father called her and said that he was coming to visit her. The girl already missed her father so much, so she left a little early. She kept saying how disappointed she was she couldn't spend more time with me but I told her to go anyway. I couldn't keep her from her father. Not when I really envied her for this blessing sometimes. Maybe because I also missed my mom and dad so much.

Anyways, here I was, alone, again. I walked to the cafe which was near to our college to see if I could get a part-time job. You know, being a college student is really expensive and on top of that, if your only fucked up guardians don't give you enough money even for your basic needs, then you definitely need a job.

The cafe was full of customers which sparked a new kind of hope inside of me. A ‘Help Wanted’ sign peeked at me from the corner of the big glass window. It seemed to be calling at me. Asking me to come in and help it get taken off the window.

This place seems to be really popular. Only the entire student population comes here after college lets out! If I got a job here, I could make enough money to get away from my wretched aunt and her dickhead of a son.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves down and built up some courage to talk to the manager. I walked over to the counter behind which a man all suited up was dealing with some customers. The manager looked like a decent man with a nice built and he must be in his early forties. When he noticed my presence he gave me a kind smile which relaxed my nerves some more.

"How may I help you, deary?" He asked kindly, his eyes wrinkled at the corners whenever he smiled.

Okay, Sya! Take a deep breath and be confident. He seems nice.

"Uh, good day, sir. I saw the help wanted sign outside was wondering if you would want to uh- hire me? I’ll work really hard, I promise! I know how to cook, clean, anything you name it!" I said, hope gleaming in my eyes. My heart was pounding so hard inside my chest but my voice surprisingly came out smooth. The manager beamed at me and it just ignited the fire of hope further.

Please say yes, please say yes.

"Well I did get a lot of offers ever since I put up that ‘help wanted' sign," he winked. I think my face dropped terribly because he quickly added, “ But seeing as you seem to have more experience as a worker, I'm willing to give you a chance. See you tomorrow, after college timings then, deary,” he said, his eyes twinkling with affection. That caused a pang in my heart. No one had looked at me that way in so long. But I shrugged it off to focus and a wave of relief ran through me as I released the breath I didn't realize I'd been holding. I looked at him with gleaming eyes and gave him a grateful smile.

"Thank you, sir! You have no idea how happy I am. I won't disappoint you I promise.  Thank you again!" I said respectfully and turned to exit the cafe. I was overjoyed at the time. After a long time, something good had happened. Sure, the start of college was a great thing! 

Now the only thing undone was that I had to convince Aunt Helena to give me permission to work there. I doubt she'd say yes, though. She couldn't see me stand up on my own two feet and loved to put me down whenever she could.