FIFTEEN

< : > Chapter Fifteen < : >
Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

"Phoenix?"

"What's wrong?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah but you're not. What's wrong?"

"Just a bad dream that felt real."

"What happened?"

" . . . . "

"Harlow."

"I don't want to say."

"I was in your dream?"

"Yeah."

"Did something happen to me?"

"And I couldn't save you."

"What happened?"

" . . . . "

" . . . . "

"We were both in the military."

"I bet you would look hot in uniform - and I mean that in the friendliest way possible."

"I think we were in the Army."

"No fucking way. I would never."

"Phoenix."

"Sorry, just trying to make you feel better."

"We were - I guess dating but keeping it to ourselves so we could stay in the same group but then we got separated."

"Our unit got separated and I died?"

"You got captured first and then I went after you but I was too late."

"Damn, that's a pretty shitty dream but I'm good - well I'm surviving this ship life but you have nothing to worry about. I'm alive, you're alive. I would never join the Army and you would never join the military as you've told me before. Everything is good."

"But it felt so real Phoenix."

"If I could hug you Harlow I would without hesitation. A friendly hug of course but a hug nonetheless."

"A hug would be nice."

"Harlow?"

"Yes?"

"How do you feel about long distance relationships?"

" . . . . "

" . . . . "

"I um - I don't really know. I've never been in one and I don't know anyone who has."

"Hm . . . So you're not sure if long distance would be something you would do?"

"If I really cared for the guy then m-maybe, yeah."

"That's good to know."

"Why?"

"Do you want the truth?"

"Of course I do."

"Whenever I come to Indiana I plan to drop in on your day Harlow. I plan to show you a jaw dropping man in uniform and make you fall hard. I plan on making you laugh a lot and taking you to my Aunt Justine's for dinner so you can taste how perfect she seasons her food. I plan on taking a bunch of pictures and posting them on Instagram and tagging you in all of them. I plan on asking you again how do you feel about long distance relationships and I plan on Skyping you a lot more because there is something between us Harlow. I've tried to deny it but it's a waste of energy doing it so I'll wait until I'm out and then . . ."