Chapter 35

Third person pov

While the Dusk clan was extremely powerful, it was very rare for even those hailing from the main branch to develop their shadow-bending kekkai genkai. It was almost like the Nara's, but not. It was more evolved than that. They produced shadows. They had amazing control over darkness. The more they controlled the shadows, the more powerful they became. It didn't tire them out like it did the Nara. They reveled in it.

They didn't bother her. Asuma had told them very firmly not to, and to continue training. Arron wasn't a very stable person, and interrupting her could prompt her not to use her kekkai genkai again. Asuma didn't want that, and neither did Shikamaru. If she could get better at controlling her power, maybe she'd feel better around other people. She'd have a way to protect herself that way.

"I'm hungry." Choji whined loudly. "Can't we get some food already?" 

"It's not even time for lunch yet, Choji. And you're always hungry! Eat some more chips." Ino scoffed at him, rolling her eyes. Choji's cheeks puffed out grumpily at her. Asuma couldn't help but chuckle, his eyes shifting over to Arron. They'd gone on break, and Shikamaru hadn't been able to resist going over to talk to her. He was surprised to see that the shadows she was manipulating didn't disappear upon his arrival.

"I didn't know you could do that." Shikamaru plopped down in front of her. Arron's gaze raised, and she smiled the smallest of smiled. Shikamaru smiled lazily back, watching happily as one of her shadows drifted over to him. It was soft and cool, and he raised his hand to touch it. It curled around his arm like a snake. 

"You're getting the hang of it fairly fast. I'm proud of you." He grinned at her, and she seemed to light up at that. More shadows moved towards him. He let them, watching calmly as they moved smoothly through the air in front of him. One of them reached out to caress his face. Shikamaru couldn't stop his cheeks from flaring.

Arron scooted forward more, staring at him with those large eyes of hers. "I love you." She told him firmly. Shikamaru froze, his cheeks blossoming red. He glanced back. It didn't look like the rest of his team had heard. He was glad. Ino wouldn't stop talking about it, and there was absolutely no telling what Asuma would say or do. Probably kill him.

"I love you too, Arron." He said softly, smiling at her. Arron scooted closer so that her knees were nearly touching his, gazing up at him with strong emotion swimming in her eyes. He felt his cheeks heat even more at the tenderness in her gaze. She wasn't lying. She really did love him, and he could safely say that he loved her back.

"Are you hungry?" The Nara asked her. She shrugged slightly, lowering her gaze to her hands. She played with her fingers. Shikamaru looked at her hands. They were so small and soft. He wanted to grab them and tell her it would all be okay. He was afraid of the looks his team would surely give him, however. 

"How about we go get some food? I'm sure everyone would enjoy getting to know you more." Shikamaru told her with a smile. She raised her gaze to look at him again. He could see the fear and hesitation in her eyes as she glanced past him and at his team. Her shoulders tensed all over again, her shadows retreating back into her body. Shikamaru frowned.

"You and I could go back to the house to eat, if you want." Shikamaru told her softly. This was hard for her, and he could tell. This was all new. Being out without being afraid... it was probably terrifying. If he were in her shoes, he'd probably feel the same way. He reached out and took one of her hands, holding it softly in his own. It was cold. "Whatever makes you the most comfortable is what we'll do."

Arron stared at Shikamaru. He was so nice, and caring, and she loved him. He wouldn't let anyone take her, and he loved her back. For real. He cared about her so much, and it was astonishing how someone could. She was pathetic, and weak, but he still took care of her. He was the most amazing person in the entire world.

"I will go with Shikamaru." Arron whispered, lowering her head slightly. Shikamaru smiled a small smile. He wished Arron saw how amazing she was. He knew how she saw herself. It reflected in her expression when she looked in the mirror, and it showed on her face anytime he complimented her. She didn't believe him, and she didn't like herself. She didn't like herself at all.

"Trexx, you hungry?"

"Eat sun."

"We went over this-"