fifty-seven

57

VIOLA BENJAMIN

"WHY ARE YOU SMILING so early in the morning?" Genevieve scrunches her nose and points a finger accusingly in Viola's direction, walking haphazardly across the grassy school grounds

"WHY ARE YOU SMILING so early in the morning?" Genevieve scrunches her nose and points a finger accusingly in Viola's direction, walking haphazardly across the grassy school grounds. Viola chuckles, repositioning her school bag more comfortably on one shoulder before crossing her arms, a cheeky smirk slithering its way into her youthful features.

"I'm in a good mood." Viola shrugs, raising a single challenging brow at her best friend who only gags mockingly in reply, slipping her bag off her bag and dropping it dramatically to the ground in a heap.

Genevieve coughs, slapping her chest exaggeratingly. "It's disgusting." Heavy breaths flow out of her pink parted lips far too aggressively after only a few metres walk. "Holy fuck, I'm unfit." She stretches her arms high above her head, arching slightly as tiny cracks are heard from her back.

"You know, you should really think about going to the gym." Viola snorts, tapping Genevieve's shoulder lightly. "You're starting to get the body of a grandma." She wriggles her eyebrows, chuckling humorously as Genevieve lets out a huff and feigns hurt, placing a solemn hand to her chest.

"Are you calling me fat!?" She gasps, slapping Viola playfully as she forces a quiver of her lips to match the innocence of her wide doe-eyes. "You're meant to be my best friend, you should love these rolls—," Genevieve's words are cut short as a tall figure looms at Viola's side.

"Hey beautiful." A deep voice emits, the simple sound sending a satisfying chill down Viola's spine. She looks up as a strong arm is placed over her shoulders, a set of lips finding themselves comfortable against her cheek for a quick peck. Viola's chest consumes with an unnatural heat as she stares into the bright blue eyes of the only boy that has the ability to turn her stomach in unimaginable ways.

"Hi." She speaks shyly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as her eyes train towards the ground and stay on the shiny black of her shoes.

"I'm gonna head to class, but text me, okay?" Ben sends a wink in her direction before offering a warm smile to Genevieve—whose mouth is still hung open incredibly wide. He turns off into the opposite direction and the two teenage girls watch as his retreating figure blends into the large school crowd at the front entrance doors.

"Did he—I'm sorry. What happened over the weekend? Were you even going to tell me? Oh. My. God. Did you guys have sex!?" Genevieve shouts her final question a little louder than necessary, undoubtedly catching the attention of students who were walking nearby.

"We did not have sex." She speaks in a hushed whisper, clamping her hand over her best friend's mouth. When she's confident that Genevieve won't babble on, she removes the hand from her face and digs her hands into the pockets of her blazer. "We just, hung out."

"Really? You just, hung out? Naked?" Genevieve raises a brow tauntingly, a sly smirk curling along her juicy lips.

Viola turns, "this conversation is over." She shouts over her shoulder as she makes a beeline for the school doors, ignoring the incessant yelling of her best friend behind her.