06

Alex

"I'm not sure if we're celebrating or mourning here

"I'm not sure if we're celebrating or mourning here." Joan spoke as she poured us another round of shots.

"I'm still not sure as to how you landed this job in the first place." Derek chimed in. I gave them both a bewildered look. I'd been in a daze all night about this new sudden promotion... if you could call it that.

"I mean, the guy's never had an assistant that lasted more than maybe a few weeks. If you fuck this up, do you just go back to your IT job, or will you be permanently terminated, or..."

"I mean, you don't think this fuck tard would actually fire the poor kid, right?" Joan asked Derek.

Somehow, both their eyes landed on me. I gave them another shrug.

"You're awfully quiet tonight." Derek noted.

"I think he's still trying to sort everything out." Joan replied. I slowly nodded my head. I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I was going to be working for Christian Ivanov.

Christian fucking Ivanov.

I mean, I technically worked for him right now- but this was going to be a hell of a lot different.

Everything was cut short by the vibrations in my pocket. As I pulled out my phone out to check the caller ID, I felt my heart drop to my stomach.

Whatever mood I was in, had just gotten a whole lot worse.

"I-I-I've got to take this." I stuttered quietly. Derek looked confused, but Joan just nodded to me as I headed towards the men's restroom.

"Hello?"

"Hi sweetie."

My heartbeat was starting to pound. I couldn't tell how hard since I was already a few shots in, but the weight of my mothers voice had cut straight through my buzz.

"Hi mom." I spoke unevenly.

"How are you, baby?" She asked.

She always asked. But I knew she never really cared.

I knew exactly why she really called in the first place... but even the false thoughts of her giving a fuck, still gave me hope... for some sick reason.

"How much do you need, Mom?"

I was biting back tears now. My teeth were digging so deep into the side of my cheek, I was sure I drew blood.