7 ; a little bit of cake goes a long way

SECURE — CHAPTER 7

[ Just when Katie stepped back, Remus' stomach dropped, finally realizing that the extent of his feelings for the girl in front of him was no longer limited to friendship. ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

In their conversation, they hadn't noticed Lily and Sirius walk back in. They were smiling, Sirius snorting as Lily playfully punched his arm.

"Do you see what I see or have I finally gone mad?" Katie turned to Remus before turning back to Lily and Sirius with wild eyes.

Remus shook his head. "Either we've both gone mad or that's actually happening."

"Why is that so off putting?"

Remus placed his chin on his propped up palm. "Maybe because the image of Lily dunking water on Sirius' head is forever the only thing that'll come to mind when I think of them."

"Well there's no water in sight." Katie's laugh echoed quietly. She turned to Remus, a twinkle in her eyes. "Remus, what are we doing?"

Remus grinned back at her. "Spying on our friends, Kate. Nothing new."

"Stop staring," Katie hissed suddenly. "If they're not yelling at each other, I'll take anything I can get."

When all she was met with is the grinning face of the guy in front of her, she narrowed her eyes. "Remus John Lupin do not dare interrupt whatever that is."

"Katherine Demelza Atherton Hart, why would I ever do such a thing?" He listed each part of her name on his fingers, looking smug.

Katie groaned, putting her head in her hands. "How do you even remember that?"

"Well, when I first heard your mother say it, I knew it would come in handy one day. So I made sure to never forget it. Just in case I would need it for situations like this."

Her head still buried in her hands, Katie's muffled words came out. "That was a rhetorical, you twit."

He ignored her insult, still grinning. "What's the meaning behind that fancy thing anyway," Remus asked bemused, a slight twinkle in his eye.

Katie slowly peeked an eye out, making Remus chuckle before removing her hands. "Demelza was my great grandmother I believe. Demelza Deighton. Mum always said that she was one of the fiercest and most stubborn women that had ever been produced from her line of blood. Atherton was my mum's last name."