*The Last Royal*

!EDITED!

A/N: was 5212 words, is now 9229! Enjoy! :D

I pull away from the Doctor, not sure I heard him quite right and I just stare at him, hugging my legs, "she's... your wife?" I ask faintly and the Doctor nods slowly, watching me carefully as I wipe at my eyes. "Is that- is that why we're connected?"

"Star and I have got a... special sort of marriage," he mutters, making me frown in confusion. "Most couples on Iralia married for... for status or... or power, some families arranged them, few were because of love but for some... the couple fell in love after. Star married me for love," he smiles, looking off to the side and I couldn't help it when my heart aches at the absolute love in his gaze as he talks about her. "... it formed a bond between us when we left our marks on each other," he explains. "Iralians are physical beings, so feeling each other's pain... Time Lord's are telepathic, so it enhanced the bond to feeling each other's emotions..."

I let that information sink in and stand, wrapping my arms around my waist, "when we met? Did- did you know?"

"No," the Doctor replies instantly, standing up. "I thought you died," he takes a step toward me, making me step back and he frowns in hurt.

"I didn't die, she did," I shake my head.

"You are her-"

I cut him off, tears welling up again, "I am not! I'm just someone she made up to escape the Time War!" I shout, making him freeze. "I saw that in her memories! She knew..." I wince, pain shooting through my head. "She told you what Rassilon was planning and... oh, my God," I put a hand to my mouth. "You... you forced her to leave! You used a Chameleon Arch and she became Human, but she got shot! That's who I've been hearing call out whenever I see or talk or even think about the Daleks! It's- it's you watching her die, isn't it?"

"Yes... I watched you get shot by a Dalek," he whispers, face contorting.

"No, you watched her," I correct firmly. "She died and the fail-safe went wrong! I shouldn't even exist!"

"Dammit, Lizzie, would you listen? You are her," the Doctor sighs, running a hand over his face and groaning miserably. "This whole thing is a mess," he shakes his head.

"Really?" I roll my eyes. "You had to have known something," I glare at him and he frowns. "My dreams, my sketches, my knowledge, the Shadow Man," I whisper, rubbing at my temple with one hand as a tear slides down my cheek. "... the Warrior," my voice cracks and the Doctor's features darken at the mention of him. "You knew it was you I was drawing and you didn't say anything!" I glare, gripping onto my jacket with my other hand. "You had to suspect something! All this time I've always felt an underline wave of grief from you and it would get stronger sometimes when I would do or say something! I thought it was because of the war - and I'm sure most of it was - but I was reminding you of her! Wasn't I?"

"... yes," the Doctor admits.

"So you were what? Using me as a replacement for your dead wife?"

"You are my wife!" the Doctor groans, stepping forward again.

"You didn't know that!" I push him back with each sentence. "You just thought I was some lonely, clever girl who reminded you of her! I'm sure it made it easier for you that I was so desperate for someone to accept me! To see me and love me-" I cut myself off and feel as if I'm going to throw up. "Oh, my God..." I whisper, my voice shaky and a hand flying to my mouth as a different kind of dread sets in. "When we-" I can't even get the words out, my face contorting. "Did you ever think of her while we-?" my voice cracks and my stomach twists unpleasantly at the thought.