Chapter 39

Two days after we had left the clearing that had been home, I found myself full of anticipation. Half an hour ago we had paddled up the creek that was only a mile from home. Despite knowing the area and having seen the small dugout canoe I had made for traveling, Kaelyn and I had agreed to carry it back to the house.  Besides there was too much in it for one trip if we had left it at the creek.

That conversation had been the last we had spoken, as we were tired. Two days of paddling and carrying the canoe from stream to stream had been more than I had expected. Kaelyn though having not spent as much time in the wilderness as me had become as fit as me. Deep down I knew that she would push herself until I stopped.

Smoke was the first indication that we were near home, rising lazily into the air from the chimney. Before either of us could comment on it, excited shouts called out, "Their here, their here." Recognizing the voices of the children I found myself smiling slightly as I continued towards the house.

By the time we had reached the house, the children had climbed down from the tree they had spotted us from, and Cassie along with Ezekiel had joined them in watching us. Wanting to greet my family and tired of carrying the canoe and all its weight, I called over my shoulder, "One, two, three, and down."

Relieved of the heavy burden along with the pack I had been carrying, I gasped as both of the children collided with me. Weak and unsteady, they pushed me to the ground and fell on top of me laughing and crying at the sight of me. Reminded how hard it must have been for them I listened to their chatter and smiled. They were both old enough to know the dangers of this world, but young enough to have had few experiences with it or the consequences.

While the children demanded answers from me, I noticed that Cassie and Ezekiel were talking to Kaelyn. I could not tell what it was over the children's chatter, and I knew if it was important they would tell me about it later. For now I allowed the children to continue demanding answers which I answered as best I could.

After a few minutes Cassie ordered, "Children, go finish your chores. Then you can set the table for dinner. I am sure Z will tell you more then."

Muttering, both of the children left to do as their mother had asked. Still on the ground, I shifted my weight before rolling into a sitting position and then standing. Brushing the dust off of me, I waited as Cassie looked at me, a sharpness in her eyes. Unsure of what was to come, as I had not seen her like this since I had been a kid, I waited patiently.

"Dammit Zachariah. I thought you were dead. Ezekiel told me he had seen you both, but that you were unable to travel when he and the others left. It was bad enough he coming home injured, but the fact that you were injured as well made it worse. Can't men ever do something without having to get injured? And on top of that you disappeared with no word. We were worried sick. Now here you are, with a canoe and furs no doubt, looking as healthy as the day you left.." unable to continue her tirade Cassie ran to me and engulfed me in a hug.

Knowing I had caused her pain and worry, I held her as I made eye contact with Ezekiel. As brothers we understood each other and the slightest looks and movements were all we needed to communicate at times. After shaking his head slightly at the fact I had caused his wife so much grief, he cocked an eye at the stuffed canoe before nodding in approval.

Pulling away from me, Cassie looked over at Kaelyn and offered, "Thank you for making sure the adventurer made it back in one piece. I see the trip to Columbia went well, judging from your clothing, though I imagine you would like to wash them and yourself."

No where was there a hint of disapproval or anger in her words towards Kaelyn. What Cassie might consider frivolous expenses, I knew she also had approval for how Kaelyn had acted and was continuing to act. Gone was the frightened high society girl I had met. Instead there was a independent woman who while dressing the part of high society, worked and did whatever she could to be helpful.