Chapter Fifty-Five

The night settled with James cuddling up to Renata, who had her back pressed into his chest as they slept in his bed. Whatever scent of her hair had been lingering in the air and on his pillow for the past couple of days, allowing him to fall into a relaxed state whenever he laid down. Due to the storm, Harry had wandered in at one point and rather than trying to squeeze his way into the adults, James watched in the dim lighting as his son lifted Renata's limp arm and placed it over him before going back to sleep. He probably assumed that he had managed to slip in undetected, which only brought a smile to James's face as he settled back in.

As Harry and Renata slept on, the storm outside finally seemed to be dying off with the promise of a lighter forecast for Harry's birthday, which is exactly what Renata had been praying for since the week before. However, while James didn't say anything, there was no telling how the weather would hold out because cloudy most of the time meant some form of rain, but he was hoping that it would hold out for as long as possible. It was a special day for Harry, turning three years old, and while Neville had turned three the day before, he would be celebrating his birthday with them as well.

He was glad to hear that things had been fixed with Augusta, although he wasn't very surprised that things were solved once Molly got involved. He remembered times where Fabian and Gideon used to joke around and claim that if their sister wasn't pregnant or looking after her children that she could have run the Order all by herself with her as the only member and still would have managed to bring down Voldemort. Or maybe it wasn't a joke at all, with her fiery nature, it could have very well been Gideon and Fabian telling the truth about their little sister.

But all that mattered was that Neville would be there because James knew how important that was, not only to Renata but to Harry as well. Over the course of the several months of Renata entering their lives, she had managed to set up two very strong friendships for Harry that had always presented themselves, but James didn't even think to take advantage of at the time when he was in mourning. However, Neville and Ron made Harry happy, reminding James of his Hogwarts days with Remus and Sirius. He would have said that they just needed a fourth member to complete their own take on the Marauders, but James didn't want to jinx them with such luck.

Despite how much time had passed and everything that had happened since that night, James still could not bring himself to forgive Peter. It didn't matter if Peter claimed to be scared into following Voldemort or betraying the Order, the damage he had caused for so many was unforgivable to James at the time. It was bad enough that he was the reason that Lily was dead, and Harry had been attacked while James had finally figured it out, but then Peter had attempted to try and turn things on Sirius. He had attempted to put all the blame on Sirius and tried to send him to Azkaban.

So, with James dead, Sirius in Azkaban, Remus would have been left alone with his condition, possibly shunned by the world for is lycanthropy, what would Peter have done after that?