125. Recognition

125. Recognition

Our talk began with atonement.

It was a nervously solemn conversation, meaningless apologies thrown around for the sake of politeness, etiquette we somehow wished to fulfill. Explanations given-- about Drew, about my Father's identity, about his threat to a certain secret of theirs, so confidential even Reborn wouldn't know about-- and we came to an understanding and mutual gave each other a meager offering of regret.

Then, it was time for business.

"I would like to simply clarify that I won't find it in myself to forgive you guys, not at all," I spoke, spite heavy in my tone and the hate in my glower heavy enough to sunken my eyelids, "I'll hold my hate upon you guys for eternity, is that alright with you?"

Their response was surprisingly compliant, "Of course. We don't take on this job without knowing to shoulder the burden of hatred and the weight of taking lives."

I tutted in annoyance, unhappy that they were so unaffected. 

"So," Bermuda folds his fingers before him, his face wrapped in bandages so tight I could not see him-- "why have you come? Evidently, you are in no state for battle or revenge-- and I believe the battle side of you have long gone."

The battle side of you, I repeated in my head, of all things to describe Drew as.

"We no longer see you as a threat," Bermuda clarified, "however it is a fact that you see us with hostility. Despite that, you came into a disadvantageous situation of your own accord."

I gritted my teeth, and Byakuran, who sat beside me, chuckled in amusement.

"I was surprised too! but I couldn't find a reason to say no, that's why," one moment he was laughing, and the next, his gaze sharpened into one of irritation, "if you try something..."

I was trapped in my wheelchair, and Bluebell had stayed home with Sui. Byakuran alone was not a strong enough force to go against the Vindice if problems arose, and I knew that.

I was disabled and I wasn't here to be a burden, I reminded myself.

I felt the urge to fake a confident smile, but I suppressed it.

Instead, I showed full-on irritation, "you're making it harder for me to speak, Bermuda."

What would Drew do? What would Rei do?

What should I do, and how should I do it?

What did I come here for?

"You talked about this guy before, to me, or to Drew--" I started slowly, inching forward to speak seriously, "this guy that was immortal. Tried to kill himself and didn't die; You captured him-- and you put him in the Vendicare; That guy."