Chapter Fifty-Seven

To add insult to injury, the days following Harry's birthday party were unusually beautiful in regards to weather and extremely warm

To add insult to injury, the days following Harry's birthday party were unusually beautiful in regards to weather and extremely warm. Not that Renata was aware of it because she had yet to leave Adelmo's flat since the incident. Cooped up in her old room where she used to stay, she spent the majority of her day in bed, unless she was letting Enzo out to use the bathroom or if she was up to shower or something along those lines. Adelmo was having a difficult time getting to her to eat and practically forcing her to eat in front of him when he was home to make sure that she was eating.

She didn't talk much, she didn't smile at all, she appeared absolutely miserable and Adelmo could tell she had been crying quite a bit because her eyes always appeared red, puffy, and irritated. Enzo refused to really leave her company as well, following her from room to room and laying on top of her whenever she was still. He tried to encourage the "old" Renata to emerge by bringing her all of his toys, in hopes that she would play with him, but she would take to tossing one toy away from her and that was the end of it.

Sirius came by, but he normally didn't stay for long, as he was usually trying to convince Adelmo to let James come over and talk to Renata, but Adelmo continued to refuse, not believing that it was appropriate. Even if James didn't mean what he said, it didn't mean it didn't hurt Renata's feelings and it had caused quite a lot of pain for her. Enough that she was constantly putting herself down whenever Adelmo got her to speak with him. She was belittling herself, claiming that their mother was right and she really was nothing but a fool. She condemned herself for not being able to maintain a proper professional relationship and figured this was her punishment for allowing her feelings to get involved.

Remembering when she told herself not to act on her attractions towards her boss, Renata continued to scold herself in private. No matter what Adelmo or even said to try and cheer her up, she simply wasn't in the mood. And the worst part of it all was she wanted to go back.

She wanted to go back and be there for Harry when he woke up in the morning, spend time with him during the day, and be there in any way that he needed her. She had promised in her little birthday letter to him that she would always be there, but it seemed she was going back on her word already. Leaving Harry upset back at the flat, it was the last thing she wanted to do but Adelmo didn't think it was a good idea for her to go back.

Sirius swore to the moon and back that James was beyond sorry and Renata believed him because she knew that he was, but at the same time, she didn't know if James was sorry because he didn't mean it or because he didn't mean to voice what he really thought in such a harsh way. Either way, as much as she knew that James was sorry, she couldn't bring herself to face him just yet. And even if he did apologise to her, there was no way she could go back because that was probably only going to confuse Harry further.

It felt so complicated to Renata that she didn't know what to do and the loss feeling was leaving her with a headache whenever she thought about it.