Six

Skylar's POV

"My head's gonna burst any second, Chicks." I groaned, gripping the front of my head and my hair as I slumped down on my bed. Chicken purred in response and curled around one of my legs, something that didn't seem to help in the slightest.

I really couldn't understand why my head was aching so badly right now, the pounding in my head seeming to increase if I sat up for too long. Now that I thought about it, the hit hadn't even been that severe.

But what if I had accidentally burst a vein or something? Or maybe even cracked my skull?

I should've gone to a doctor, or maybe even told my parents about this. But I didn't want to deal with their questions. Ingesting those painkillers felt so much easier than making up stupid excuses.

I scrambled around, trying to reach for my phone with my outstretched hand. And when I switched it on, I wasn't really surprised to see various messages and missed calls, all from Alex. A twinge of guilt spread over my heart. He was probably worried why I had suddenly asked him to not pick me up for school today and had skipped school as well.

I rested my head against the bed rest and took another pill in my palm, gulping it down with a glass of water.

I opened up Alex's latest text and let out a small, helpless groan.

Someone uploaded a video of the cafeteria from yesterday. Almost trending on YouTube, Sky. It's kind of fucked up.

I frowned at the exaggeration. It wasn't even funny that he wrote that. Things like such spread around our school way too quickly. And the things they could make out from just one normal circumstance, I'd seen multiple times how badly that could go.

I found myself clicking on the attached link and a YouTube video popped up on my screen. Even Chicken felt the need to crawl up in my lap, her eyes trained on the lit-up screen.

The video was exactly what Alex had mentioned--a recording of the entire scene in the cafeteria yesterday. And there were almost more than a hundred views on it, with comments that really weren't fun to read.

This really was fucked up.

I switched off my phone and closed my eyes, blowing out a heavy sigh. I was truly glad that I had skipped school today, even though that'd be a big problem when my mom found out. But with this fucking headache, I was pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to stand those stares in school hallways.

To everyone else's knowledge, Caden Miller never asked for anything, not from a girl like me. And not to forget that little glaring-fight he'd had with Alex. People were mostly surprised to see that Caden hadn't bashed Alex's head like he would've done with anyone else. And I swear to God, if anyone came up with a rumour that it was all because of me, I would probably flip out on every single one of them.