Chapter 30

Thank you for reading this far! You all are awesome! Keep those votes and comments coming. They are so encouraging :)

"So, what did the orphanage say when you told them you'd be staying with us this week?" Ellison asked, stowing away the sweater she had been wearing in her bag.

She and Tom had enjoyed their last ride on the Hogwarts Express talking and laughing as each took turns trying a different flavor of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. It had been just like old times ... a more innocent time. A time when they had been younger. A time when things hadn't always been so serious.

"They didn't much care I don't suppose. I'll only have a place there until the end of the summer anyhow," Tom shrugged, throwing his bag over his shoulder. "After that, I'll have to make other arrangements."

"What do you plan to do after that?" Ellison asked, opening the compartment door and walking out into the corridor, her trunk in tow. Tom shrugged again.

"Not sure. Suppose I'll have enough gold saved up by then to afford my own place." Ellison nodded. Though it felt like she wasn't getting the full story she resolved to drop the subject for now. Tom had never been too keen on discussing his future plans with her, and with students flooding the corridors in a rush to get off the train to see their families, now didn't seem like a good time anyway.

"Ellison, dear! Over here!" A voice called as Ellison and Tom stepped off the train. Ellison turned to see the smiling face of her mother, hand in the air waving from across the platform. Ellison smiled, she and Tom making their way over to her.

"Hi mum," she said as her mother embraced her in a tight hug, "really mum, it's only been a few months," she added, trying to pry herself from the firm grasp her mother had on her.

"Oh I know, but we've missed you all the same sweetie," Mrs. Pennifold said, grasping Ellison by the shoulders, holding her at arm's length to examine her properly. After properly inspecting her daughter Mrs. Pennifold let go turning her attention to Tom instead. "Hello dear, it's quite good to see you again!"

"The pleasure's all mine ma'am," Tom spoke in the same charming tone he so frequently used when speaking to adults. He held his hand out, but Mrs. Pennifold pulled him into another tight embrace. Tom, though looking thoroughly taken aback, wrapped an arm around her, patting her lightly on the back.

"Mum, where's dad?" Ellison asked, realizing her father's absence for the first time.

"Oh dear, I'm afraid he couldn't make it this year honey. Work has had him tied up at the office all week long. He'll be joining us for dinner though ... Which reminds me, we ought to be getting on ... Come on you two," Her mother continued, ushering them towards the brick wall that separated Platform 9 ¾ from the rest of King's Cross Station.