The Maid's Choice

They filed into the parlour and watched as Gwyneth set up a round table with six chairs , then gestured for them all to take a seat. The Doctor sat beside the serving woman, Mei on his other side. 

Rose somehow managed to pull Dickens down into the chairs across from them and the two sisters gave Sneed warning looks as he sat between them.

"This is how Madam Mortlock summons those from the Land of Mists. Down in Mid Town. Come. We must all join hands," Gwyneth explained, and everyone but Dickens did as they were told.

Instead, the writer scoffed and got to his feet, ready to leave, "I can't take part in this."

"Humbug?" the Doctor called after him mockingly, "Come on, open mind."

"This is precisely the sort of cheap mummery I try to un-mask. Séances? Nothing but luminous tambourines and a squeeze box concealed between the knees. This girl knows nothing."

Gwyneth looked down, embarrassed and most likely offended. Mei narrowed her eyes at the man, gripping tightly to the Doctor's hand so she didn't leap out of her seat and wring his neck.

Seeing the darkening of his companion's eyes, the Doctor quickly said, "Now, don't antagonize her. I love a happy medium."

With a chuckle, Rose shook her head, "I can't believe you just said that."

The Doctor grinned at the blonde, giving Mei's hand a reassuring squeeze before looking to Dickens, "Come on, we might need you." The writer sat down with a huff, "Good man. Now, Gwyneth. Reach out."

Nodding, Gwyneth took a deep breath and angled her head back a little so that she was looking into the empty space above the table, "Speak to us . . . Are you there? Spirits?"

Dickens rolled his eyes, then yelped as the heel of Mei's boot slammed down on his toes. The Doctor and Rose tried to hide their smiles, and Sneed guffawed before quickly clearing his throat, fearing his own foot-stamping would be next.

Continuing, Gwyneth said in a stronger voice, "Come. Speak to us that we may relieve your burden."

Her eyes rose to the ceiling and Mei felt a shiver run down her spine when the room became filled with murmuring voices. She glanced around, tightening her grip on the Doctor's hand once more. He caught her eye, giving her a small smile.

"Can you hear that?" Rose asked in a hushed voice.

In an irritated voice, Dickens exclaimed, "Nothing can happen. This is sheer folly."

In sync, the Tyler sisters looked to Gwyneth who had begun to rock slightly and told the others, "Look at her."

"I see them," she whispered as the ghostly blue things began filling the room and Mei gulped, remembering her not-so-nice introduction. "I feel them!"

"Might - and probably will - regret asking this," the auburn haired girl squeaked, "But what're they saying?"

"They can't get through the rift," The Doctor announced, looking away from them to the serving woman, "Gwyneth, it's not controlling you, you're controlling it. Now look deep. Allow them through."

"I can't!" she refused, shaking her head.

"Yes you can," he demanded.

"Don't force her!" Mei exclaimed, "You can't just force her to do something, what if she's scared? What if they hurt her?"

The Doctor gave her a brief apologetic look, before continuing, "Just believe it. I have faith in you, Gwyneth. Make the link."

Gwyneth made a painful expression before dropping her head and opening her eyes, an odd sort of clarity within them. "Yes." Behind her, three of the ghost creatures took human-shaped forms.