Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

It's not real, Harry thought again as he followed Moody and Kingsley through the injured and incarcerated. Umbridge was still chirping pleasantly about Harry and the others being filthy little liars as she picked her way between people like they were litter, but Harry tuned her out. Moody wasn't listening, so why should he? 

He gripped the coin - a Portkey Kingsley had told him - in one hand, and Sarah's hand in the other, guiding her up the plinths towards the entrance hall where a small sea of white sheets were spread out, concealing the dead that lay beneath. "It's okay," he whispered a little mechanically to her. But she showed no signs she'd heard him. She'd not spoken a word since Seamus had died. 

Parvati was not the only mourner kneeling by a lost friend, there were plenty more, too many in fact for Harry to want to think about. Because as much as he might want to tell himself this reality meant nothing to him, that it wasn't his home and it didn't really exist, how could he possibly deny the grief rolling off these people by his feet? Or the horror of those reliving the experience for the Ministry officials?  

The world had changed for these people. And it was Harry who had changed it.  

Parvati had stopped crying when they reached her, but was still hiccupping shallow breathes of air, her red and puffy eyes just staring at Seamus' peaceful face, visible where she'd turned down the stiff white sheet. Kingsley stood to one side to let them gather. Moody was busily shooing Dolores Umbridge away, calmly but firmly talking to her about respect for the dead. Hermione was right behind the Potters, but Draco was nowhere to be seen. 

"He's just saying goodbye to Blaise," said Hermione at Harry's questioning look. He nodded and crouched down by Parvati, who was stroking Seamus' hair.  

"They haven't got the Floo networks up yet," he told her gently, "but they've given us a Portkey." He showed her the big silver coin with strange engravings that Kingsley had given him. She slowly pulled her eyes away to look at him, then Kingsley, then Seamus again. "We're going to Godric's Hollow. All of us." He wasn't leaving Seamus behind under any circumstances. 

"It's November," she said softly. Harry paused, pulling the Portkey into his chest and throwing Hermione a look. She shrugged. "I...I already have his Christmas present. Weird Sisters tickets... on December 10th. I was going to give it to him next week - they're only in the circle but I was going to put the tickets in a card and take a picture of his face. Then give him the picture on Christmas Day, as a joke. I...I..." She gripped the sheet, her breathing had become too shallow for her to get enough air in her lungs and she was shaking. 

"Parvati," said Harry. It was all she needed to let go of Seamus and fling her arms around him instead. Harry hugged her back, letting her sadness encompass him too. 

They never should have come here, he never should have let them. He didn't want to do this alone, and Seamus had paid the price. "I'm sorry," he told her, but she shook her head and pulled away to look at him. 

"I know it's not your fault, it's not." He didn't have the heart to tell her how wrong she was. 

Draco appeared by Hermione's side, hand holding reassuringly onto the hilt of his sheathed sword. He met Harry's eyes. It was time to go. 

He looked at Kingsley and Moody who had just returned thankfully without Umbridge. "Thank you," he said. "For letting us go home...for everything." 

"You've been through enough," said Kingsley with a nod.  

"I'll come talk to you in a few days," added Moody kindly. "Give you some time to rest." 

Harry nodded, then held the silver coin out in front of him. Everyone else knelt down by him and Parvati, and on his cue touched the Portkey with one hand, then pulled back the sheet and took firm hold of Seamus' clothes with the other.