Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One

By the time they got back to the house everyone had left the garden, even Harry's coat and bag were gone. He wasn't surprised though, every one of them must have been feeling ripped to shreds by everything that had happened, and the weather wasn't exactly balmy.  

He was starting to feel guilty about shouting at his dad like that. He'd lied to him earlier as well. Considering he'd been wanting it his whole life, their relationship really hadn't got off to the best start. 

Harry was apprehensive as they approached the front door, realising he didn't have any keys, but as he pushed it tentatively it swung in easily, obviously left off the latch for their return. He still stepped through the threshold feeling like an intruder. This wasn't his home. 

Hermione was sat in the living room, clutching a mug of tea, staring into the steaming contents. "Harry!" she cried upon catching sight of them, and slammed the mug onto a little side table. She stood and faced him and Draco, unsure of what to do with her hands. "Are you alright?" she said eventually, giving in and throwing her arms around his neck. "You must be in such a state right now, but really, you've got nothing to be sorry for. It's not your fault, if it wasn't for you Sarah wouldn't be here and You-Know-Who wouldn't be dead and-" 

"It's okay," Harry interrupted her very fast speech. He had a feeling she'd been rehearsing it. "Draco told me the same thing, and..." he sighed. "I know you're right. I'm just not sure Seamus' family will feel the same." 

Hermione looked unsure. "Um, yes. You're dad - and the other guy with the dark hair?" 

"Sirius," Harry supplied. 

"Yes, him. Well, they've already taken Seamus'..." She paused, apparently unwilling to say the word 'body'. "Well Seamus back to Ireland. Parvati went with them. He said to tell you." 

Harry sighed again and dropped into the armchair. "Probably wanted to get away from me." 

"No," said Hermione sternly, like she were speaking to a child. "I think he wanted to get it over and done with as soon as possible. He said it was his and Sirius' duty as members of the Ministry." 

"You're dad's probably in shock, Harry," said Draco. "He'll be okay soon enough." 

Harry couldn't think of anything to say, so just stared into the fire instead. He could feel the other two behind him; Hermione reached back for her mug and began blowing on the tea for something to do. Draco crossed his arms and looked awkward. 

"Ah, there you are," came Remus' sympathetic voice as he wandered into the lounge from the direction of the library. "Are you okay Harry?" he asked, crouching in front of Harry's knees. He glanced up at Draco. "Thanks for going after him," he said genuinely. 

Draco shoved his hands in his pockets and gave a non committal shrug. Remus just smiled though and returned his attention to Harry. "I was discussing with Hermione how we should probably return her home to her parents." 

Hermione slammed down her mug for a second time, managing to slosh quite a bit of tea on the table. "Oh yes!" she said, pulling anxiously at her hair. "Harry I realised I never let them know where I was, and I've been gone all night!" 

Harry rubbed his eyes and swore under his breath. "I completely forgot," he said, feeling guilty yet again. "I'm so sorry." 

"Stop saying you're sorry," she said firmly but not unkindly. "I chose to come with you, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. But I definitely need to go home right now." 

Remus was nodding. "I agree. Shall the two of us take her back through the Floo network?" he offered Harry. "She said that's how you came here." 

Harry nodded, but it was Draco who spoke. "I'll come too," he said in a slightly shaky voice. Harry lifted his head and stared at him. As did Remus.