Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter Image by the incredible Visenya at The Dark Arts

Chapter Song: The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie

***

Chapter Forty Eight

"See," said Alex. "I told you everything would be fine." 

"Fine?" repeated Jia, from behind her hands. "Seriously?" 

Alex shifted in his chair on the other side of Jia's desk, his brown files held together with rubber bands cradled in his lap. "Well," he said, tilting his head in thought. "He got home didn't he?" 

"After just a spot of bother, wouldn't you agree?" cried Jia, her hands falling to her desk with a smack. "I haven't slept seventy two hours!" 

"Yes," said Alex amicably. "But technically you don't need to sleep now do you?" 

Jia just glared. 

"He saved the world!" said Alex, wobbling his head at his boss in hopes of getting a smile from her. "He destroyed Voldemort - again - he saved his little sis, it's great." 

"It's a lot of paper work," said Jia straight faced, dropping a pile of forms in front of him. 

"Which I will do gladly." 

"Good," said Jia, leaning back in her chair, the tiniest twitch of a smile on her lips. "Then you can do mine too." 

Alex barked out a laugh and rocked back and forth in his seat in glee, his feet dancing under the desk. "Oh you've got to admit he's got style hasn't he, sweeping in and saving everyone like that. And Draco Malfoy! I did not see that one coming, I wish my one could be a bit more like that, rather than running around being everyone else's childhood traumas. I could do with a bit more bravery from him." 

Jia sighed, but the real anger seemed to have dissipated. "What about the doorway between worlds, it's weakened now, do you think anyone will be falling through it any time soon?" 

Alex made a popping noise with his mouth. "Don't believe so, only Harry knows it's there and I think he's had enough excitement for now. I'm sure he'll spend the next five years playing Monopoly and drinking Chamomile tea." 

"Yes I'm sure that's exactly what he'll do," replied Jia dryly. She picked up her nearest coffee mug and toyed with it. "Oh alright," she said eventually. "Well done for not ending the Multiverse, I'm glad we're all still here." 

"Well said," agreed Alex. "But really I did very little this time round, there wasn't much I could do." He pulled a face. "Last time I had to pull people down here and give them a good telling off, it was a nightmare." 

"So it's all sorted?" asked Jia tiredly. "All lose ends tied up, all business finished? We don't have to worry about Harry Potter anymore?" 

"Yes," said Alex rising to his feet and hoisting his papers all together. "All taken care of, nothing more to trouble us." 

Jia smiled and tapped her index finger on her coffee mug. "Marvellous." 

But before Alex could even take a step, the door behind him burst open to reveal Jia's new Watcher, the one from the universe Alex's Harry Potter had created. He was young but already showing a great deal of enthusiasm for the job. Right now however, all he was showing was an inability to stand up, draw breath or form a coherent word. 

"What's wrong?" said Jia alarmed, rising to her feet as the boy sucked in a lungful of air, straightened up his back and held out a single sheet of paper for Alex and Jia to see. 

"I could be wrong," said Seamus Finnigan. "But I think we have a serious problem."

End of Book One