Chapter Thirteen

~Luna's POV~

THAT DAMN DOG! He was dead, deader than dead! I wasn't letting him get away with mortifying me in front of all those crazy hormonal teenagers. It had taken at least an hour before either of us could disentangle ourselves from the horde of teens. I hadn't spoken to him since the incident as I brooded, contemplating over how to enact some type of punishment or revenge on him. How could he do that to me? Why that? Of all things, he had to come up with a wedding proposal!

I stopped pacing in the forest as I thought back to that moment. His dark eyes were filled with sincerity when he said it and in that moment I felt my heart swell in my chest. No matter how angry I was at him for mortifying me, I had to admit to myself that in that moment I'd never been happier. Since that day, I'd been conflicted. So many emotions gripped my heart, happiness at the thought of someone loving me enough to want to spend the rest of their life with me, pain and rejection because I realized it was just a ploy to distract the students, and anger because he had to know it would hurt and mortify me.

Hot tears of rage mixed with the cool tears of pain clung to my pallid cheeks as I threw myself to the ground with a groan. A rustling sound came from behind me and I quickly straightened up and composed myself as I sensed someone approach. Tohru stepped through the clearing and gasped in surprise when she spotted me.

"Luna! What are you doing out here?" She asked in awe, I had wandered pretty far from the house, and had gotten surprisingly closer to the Sohma residence near the outskirts of town.

"Just taking a walk." I smiled softly, "What are you doing out here?" I asked her.

She shuffled her feet nervously, "I can't say."

My eyes narrowed at this, "Tohru, did someone put you up to something?"

"N-no, not at all." She was lying.

A thought crossed my mind, after we made it back home; Hatori had abruptly left after Shigure mentioned something about Tohru. I'd thought it was because he was still upset about the proposal, I knew it had hurt him. Shigure was so inconsiderate; he should have known something like that would bring up painful memories for Hatori.

"It was Hatori, wasn't it?" I asked her quietly.

"N-N-."

"Tohru, I know when I'm being lied to." I smirked.

She sighed and nodded shamefully.

"That settles it then, I'm coming with you." I offered the obviously terrified girl my hand. To be honest, I was a bit apprehensive too. This place, no, this hell offered nothing but agonizing memories of loss, pain and despair. I couldn't remember any good memories, not after Akito took an interest in me.

"Luna?" Tohru lightly shook me from my dark thoughts. "Your hands are shaking." She said quietly.

I looked down and sure enough my hands were trembling. Quickly, I stuffed them in my pockets. "I'm just cold, let's go." It wasn't a lie, it was freezing outside, there was snow everywhere, burying everything that was good and green. Hiding all the lush beauty of the forest in its cold blanket like grasp. It seemed fitting for where we were going, cold and overbearing, just like him.

We broke through the forest and soon found ourselves facing a large enclosed community with a traditional Japanese style gate. Tohru looked intimidated by the sight before her. I placed my hand in hers to steady her nerves.