Crusades Essay

Time, and time again, there have been wars and battles throughout the decades of the world's history. In a time of great religion, the great holy city of Jerusalem was captured by Muslims. The Muslims saw it holy because it was where Mohammed ascended to heaven, the Christians because it is the city where Jesus Christ was crucified and resurrected, and the Jews because of holy temples from previous rulers of the city. Historians have studied this era and have suggested that this war was more than just about religious rights and recovering Jerusalem. This was also about power. The amount of land back in the 13-14 century and even other eras is what measured the power of a county or empire.

Pope Urban the second, a religious man who lived during the 13-14 century, had received a letter from the Byzantine emperor saying that the Muslims were reaching the borders of the empire and wanted to fight with his brothers in Christ against these "ruthless" and "unclean" Muslims. Pope Urban had agreed and had formed a plan to gain power, and he presented a speech to anyone who would listen, in which, was a lot of people. In document 1, Pope Urban's speech to the people had stated that the Muslims were destroying temples, raping women, men were being tied to posts and shot with arrows, ruled the place where Jesus was crucified, buried, and resurrected, and because they are "unclean" they had no right to be in the city. In document 3, It states that the war not only appealed to the religious, but too young men in families, the younger sons. In the olden days, the older sons were the ones to inherit the land. When the younger sons heard of the way, they were promised a path to heaven, and a portion of land that they could live on and tend to. This allowed them to gain places to make a home after they move out, and their brother inherits the land, they are able to start a family of their own after the war, and if you have land, you have political power and rights.

The Crusades, a war between the Christians and the Muslims, was not just a religious war, as many believe. Before, Christians were fighting each other, and when Pope Urban the second announced what the Muslims were apparently doing, many thought that it was, because he made it seem that way. In document 2, it states that "after Urban had aroused the spirits of all by the promise of forgiveness to those who undertook the expedition [Crusades] with single-hearted devotion, toward one hundred thousand men were appointed to the immediate service of God..." A man could not promise redemption, in Christianity, it was given to you by God if you accepted his son as the savior of the world, and this was written in the bible. This matters because, without the realization, people actually thought that this was a religious war when it wasn't. John 3:16 in the bible state "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him, shall not perish, but have eternal life in heaven." Stating this, and the church throughout many empires and history didn't share literature with many people except for the rich and nobles, therefore they had the ability to bend the truth without everyone knowing, and being able to influence the citizens (OI).

Time, and time again, there have been wars and battles throughout the decades of the history of the world. In a time where religion was high in government, the great holy city of Jerusalem was captured by Muslims. Muslims had sought to capture this city for two reasons... They saw it as a holy city because it was where Mohammed ascended to heaven and they also wished to expand. The Christians sought after it because it is the city where Jesus Christ was crucified and resurrected, and the Jews because of holy temples from previous rulers of the city such as King David, Solomon and many more. Historians have studied this era and have suggested that this war was more than just about religious rights and recovering Jerusalem. This was also about the gain and loss of power. The amount of land back in the crusades, and even before and after, is what measured the power of a county or empire in that time period.