Seven

Skylar's POV

"East Gang?" I asked him. "What kind of gang is that even?"

Caden's stare was mostly impassive for a few seconds until he opened his mouth to answer me. But I cut him off first,

"I mean, I do know there may be gangs here in this sketchy little town. People who deal with drugs and stuff," I said, then narrowed my eyes ever so slightly. "But why would a gang involve itself with me?"

He closed his mouth shut and gave me a look of disbelief.

"Do gangs prank these days? Because that's way too immature. If my parents found out about this--" I stopped and narrowed my eyes even further at him. "You're not messing with me, are you?"

"Why the fuck would I mess with you?"

If I thought he was warming up to me, since he was actually inside my house right now, I was so wrong. Things like such must be as rare as the blue moon.

"So." I started slowly, cautiously. "You're saying that there is an East gang?"

He dragged a hand through his already dishevelled hair and my eyes seemed to follow the action. "What else did I say?" He didn't even bother looking like he was trying to have bits of control over his patience; he looked highly irritated by now.

Definitely needed to work a lot on himself.

"Why would a gang want to prank me?" I frowned. I was aware that a handful of people disliked my parents, mostly because of them being lawyers. But I didn't think my parents would ever involve themselves with a gang rivalry.

"That wasn't a prank." Caden rudely told me. "Do you consider killing someone a prank?"

I leaned back against the couch and stuck with questioning him in return. "Why were you there anyway? The Chriswood Street, I mean?"

Of course, Caden Miller was considered mysterious in many ways, but I couldn't really imagine him being involved with those gangs. Wasn't he too young for that? What about his parents? Did they have any idea of whatever that he went around getting himself involved with?

Caden folded the paper in his hands and stuffed it in his back pocket, looking unbothered by my question. It almost seemed like he wasn't even going to answer me.

"You don't need to know the answer to that." He dismissed the question just like that and headed for the front door, ready to leave.

I straightened up from the couch a little too quickly. "You can't just leave without telling me what this all is about!"

He turned back towards me and his piercing green eyes found mine once again. I wasn't really that short, but he was definitely taller. "Just stay away from it, Anderson." He frowned at me. "I'll make sure this doesn't happen again."

"How will you do that?" I asked him, even though I was pretty sure by now that there were certain questions (which were most) that he didn't like answering.

And he didn't. All he did was turn around once again, and I eyed his back in disbelief as he opened the door and stepped outside. Right before he could've left, he turned around once again and gave me a pointed look.

"Try using the ice pack. It'll help more than those pills."

Then he was gone.

•••••