Chapter Thirty-Nine

My phone rang from my bedside table, and I sprang up from my study desk, ignoring the rest of the chemistry equations I had to solve, and went to answer the call.

"Are you up for an ice cream date?" Jonah said before I could even say hello.

"Hmm, ice cream, you say? Interesting."

"Good. Get ready, I'll be there in ten."

"You're off work already?" I asked, already browsing through my closet. "Do I need to bring Daisy too?"

"Yes and yes," he said. "I'll see you soon."

"See you," I replied, and he hung up. I threw my phone onto my bed, and went to pick out clothes from the wardrobe.

I was ready in almost exactly ten minutes. I wore a coat over my long sleeved shirt and put on my knit cap, and then went over to Daisy to get her ready. I bundled her up in blankets, making sure that there were no gaps on the surface of her "skin". The doorbell rang shortly after, and I screamed at my mom not to open the door before running down the stairs.

"Mom, I'm going out."

"Where and with who?"

"Somewhere with Jonah," I replied, kissing her in the cheek as I passed by her lounged in the living room with a magazine on her lap.

She smiled slyly. "Are you guys dating?"

"Yes. I think so. I don't know, I like to think that we are but he never said so whatever," I said with a shrug, and then held up my left hand. "We're married anyway."

She laughed. "Alright. Go have fun and be back before dinner."

"Will do," I saluted her. "Bye!"

I opened the front door for Jonah, who stood there with a smile on his face. "Hi."

"Hi," I said, letting him take the doll from my arms. As he did so, he leaned down to plant a kiss on my cheek and I couldn't stop myself from blushing.

"I saw that!" Mom yelled from the living room, and Jonah nearly jumped six feet of the ground. His eyes were wide; he was definitely scared.

"MOM," I replied, my face reddening in embarrassment. "Shut up."

When he saw that Mom wasn't getting mad at him for kissing me, he peeked inside the house and called, "Good afternoon Mrs. Taylors."

"Hi Jonah!" she called out. "Have fun, you two!"

I closed the door behind me and we went into his car, situating Daisy at the backseat of his car. Before he started up the car, he reached to take his camcorder from the glove compartment, turned it on record and placed it on the dashboard. He tugged at my arm, drawing me closer so that both of us were in the shot.

"Hello," he said as we began to drive away. "We're going on an ice cream date with Daisy in the backseat."

I jerked my thumb backwards. "She's in a baby seat," I reassured Mr. Herberg who would be watching. "All bundled up and warm, perfectly safe and sound."

Jonah rolled his eyes. "And I'm recording this because apparently we've forgotten that we're supposed to make a home movie."

"You mean you've forgotten," I corrected him. "You obviously never noticed me filming you almost every day."

He raised an eyebrow at me. "And she calls me the creepy one."

I stuck out my tongue at him and reached out to turn on the radio. I browse through the stations, waiting until I found a song that I liked. I finally brightened when I found one that I liked, and I almost immediately began singing.