Chapter 29- The Rising Star

XANDER'S POV

My leg bounces in anxiousness as I constantly stare out the window during my taxi ride to the airport. I try to make myself comfortable in the soft leather of the back passenger seat but I just can't. I am a huge bag of nerves right now who is totally consumed with a lot of thoughts. I am having some auditory hallucinations about my wristwatch ticking like the timer on a bomb, and if I won't be there in time, Emily will be gone forever. I don't know how to find her, or if I can still find her, but I am not losing hope. I want to do everything that I can. I want to prove to her family, especially to Henry that I am a changed man and what happened between his daughter and me before was already in the past.

I immediately checked-in when I reached the airport. My heart is pounding with so much power against its cage of bone and cartilage.

It's almost eight in the morning when I have finally nestled in my seat inside the plane next to the window. I put on my earphones and browse through some relaxing music on my phone while anxiously tapping my foot on the floor, as I'm feeling a little giddy with the dreadful anticipation. More passengers squeeze in and jostle around towards their assigned seats with the flight attendants assisting them on their carry-on luggage in the overhead cabins.

I squint out into the distance through the window, staring sightlessly at those airport crew doing their works on the ground. After a few more moments, the announcement about closing the doors finally booms through the speakers, but the two seats beside me are still empty. At this moment, I kind of regret my decision of not bringing Jace with me.

You can do it alone, Man.

I will be alright. I will be asking for the LAPD's assistance in this anyway, and of course, I will be in constant communication with him too.

Just when I thought that everyone has already entered the plane and settled in their seats, there's one last passenger who rushes inside the plane with his flight bag loosely slung over his shoulder.

"Excuse me, excuse me." I can hear his familiar voice from my row. I cock my head to the side, on the aisle's direction, and take a glance at the passenger who is actually approaching my row now. My eyes widen in surprise upon seeing his face.

You've got to be kidding me.

He opens the overhead cabin above me and throws his bag in before squeezing himself on the empty seat next to mine. He exhales in relief when he is finally seated, and I am just staring at him in downright disbelief.

"That was close," he breathes out as the video presentation of the safety demonstration starts to play on each monitor in front of us.

"Dude! Seriously?" I am totally overwhelmed by Jace's unexpected presence.

"My conscience won't forgive me if something happens to you." He fixes his gray beanie on top of his messy head.

"That's fucking sweet." I am chuckling in relief. He was just right on time.

"I also have also a bulletproof vest in my bag. I found it in our basement. I used to wear this during our military training before. You should wear it." he casually mentions.

"How about you?"

"I can handle this better than you,"

I smirk at his little insult, but he's right. I'm a doctor, and not an action god of some sort. "Cocky much, huh?"

"You know I'm right anyway," he winks at me, making my insides tingle in an awkward way. Jace and I have never been this close before. I mean, we have never been in these kinds of a situation before. We would just usually hang out in his shop and talk about girls and anything casual as he does my tattoo. Nothing serious. We would also go to the club and bars occasionally and be each other's wingman.