Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Why do I let myself be dragged into these scenarios?

I ask myself this as I was forced to go shopping with my freakishly annoying step-sisters. I should have struggled a lot more than I did. Instead I'm stuck here as they go over which neckline would look more flattering on them.

I was bored out of my mind, and to top it off I couldn't even leave because I was their human shopping bag. Clothes were draped all over my arms and legs and I was wighed down by the bags they already had. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had dumbells in there.

Most of the bags were not even for the ball a few months away like they claimed. They were just 'browsing' about which type of dress of get. And they brought some of their friends along to meet us there, and extend my services as a caddy.

"I want a sweetheart neckline to show off my cleavage and I want it to be tight to show off my curves. What color makes me the most slimming?" Emma asked looking at herself in the mirror.

"I say something black with a plunging neckline." One of the friends begins to say. I don't bother with her name.

"I know just the store that has the cutest dresses!" One of them squealed. And it was hearing the even louder overlapping conversations that made me want to burst their bubble.

The dance was months away, they don't have a dress and they don't have a date. It's like putting the cart before the horse.

I found it weird that they were the second group of people to bring up the dance when school barely started. What was so special about a typical high school dance?

"Did you hear about how much money was donated for the dance?" Harper asked.

"I heard it was at least $1,500." Sophia jumped in. That certainly piqued my attention, and diverted my gaze away from counting the lines in the tiles as I was previously. Where did the school get all of that money, because they certainly didn't have the budget for it. And was there such a big emphasis on a random winter dance and not the prom, isn't that where the money should be?

I'm not going to either, but it seems a little strange.

"I heard it was because Derric's parents are loaded and they wanted his last year to be special. His birthday is right before the holidays, and they schedules the dance to be his 18th party."

His parents were certainly something else. I guess with all that money they need to spend it all on something. Though he never struck me as the rich snobby type.

Maybe this would explain why he was already planning on going. I don't know what the others have as an excuse.

"I wish Derric could ask me to the party." Harper sighed wistfully.

"No way he's mine." Emma interrupted glaring at her sister, 100% serious. This launched them into a small argument and the rest of the girls listing all the guys they think would ask them to the dance, and let me tell you that it wasn't a long list.

I zoned out, bored once more, but my ears perked up whenever someone mentioned Edmon's name. I can't wait to laugh about it with him later.

----------

I find time when I get home to text Edmon. I lay down on my lumpy mattress and the door locked, hidden away in my own sanctuary. In the four corners of my room, my step-sisters couldn't harm me, or find out who I was texting.

Edmon was kept a secret to protect both of us.

I overheard some girls dying to have you ask them to the winter formal.

Two seconds later he texts back: There's a whole line of girls out there wanting me. I rolled my eyes he's so full of himself sometimes.

I don't see it.

Is that why you asked me about Derric Wilder before, cuz of the party?

No, just curious. I don't expand anymore on that.

You don't have work today, wyd?

Trying to take 5 minutes to myself Edmon.

You texted me first.

He waited a second before adding onto his text. Are you planning on going to the dance?

I know it's Derric's big birthday party but I can't be the only one who thinks this is madness. Obsessing over a party that won't take place for another 3 months is insanity.

No, u know I don't go to those stuff.

Come on, it's a masquerade no one will know who you are.

Why a masquerade?

No idea.

I sent him a quick text saying I was going for a run before changing into my shabby workout clothes. It consisted of a pair of worn out shoes, a faded pair of leggings and a plain t-shirt. I grabbed my headphones and made my way down to the park.

By the time I got the park, Derric was already there. I could recognize his silhouette from anywhere. I checked the time on my phone, he normally got here after me. That was off.

Not knowing what to do, my legs found themselves dragging the rest of me to his running figure. I hover awkwardly beside him for a few moments. If he notices I'm there, he doesn't make any indication of acknowledgement.

Not even a quick glance.

His eyes remain focuses on the path ahead of him, and even from the side of his face I can tell something is wrong. Suddenly I become shy and self-conscious, and want to revert back into myself.

"Hi." I manage to say, my voice sounding weird in my own ears. Again it's like he didn't even recognize someone speaking.

I stand up straighter and take a bold step. "Is everything ok?"

His head snaps in my direction so quickly I got whiplash for him. He stops suddenly and I almost crash into him, regaining my balance at the last second. I'm no expert at reading emotions, but I can clearly see the hurt and confusion on his face.

Staring at his face intensely I can see green flecks standing out of his ocean blue eyes. "Why are you avoiding me like the plague?"

I swallow hard, and avert my gaze to the floor to escape his intense stare. "I haven't been avoiding you." I mumble softly.

"Bullshit."

"It's more complicated than that." I say getting angry poking a finger into his chest.

"Then explain it to me!" He exclaims exasperated. He sighs and outs his arms on my shoulders. "Look, I don't know your name Blondie. I don't know the basics things about you other than the obvious. So when I see you at school and you run in the opposite direction, there's only one way to interpret that."

"I can't let you know who I am." I give up. Derric looks at me with worry.

"Are you in the witness protection program?" I let out a soft chuckle and shook my head.

"No, nothing like that. I just have a strange family and I would prefer to hide my friends from them." That was as close to the truth as I was going to reveal.

"So I'm your friend huh?" I roll my eyes but secretly glad he glazed over the rest of the details.

"Forget I said anything." I start running, with a hint of a smile on my face.As I expected he began running after me with a wicked grin of his own.

"You can't get rid of me that easily Blondie."

I was surprisingly ok with that.