EIGHT

Stacy was in as much shock as I was but at least she recovered faster than I did.

"Wade as in wade Steele?!"

"Yes Stacy"

"You mean Wade from high school?"

"Yes"

"Wade as in your ex?"

I rolled my eyes for what seemed like the millionth time and frowned at Stacy, "yes Stacy, Wade as in the guy who left me ten years ago", I said firmly, "remember him now?"

"I didn't want to mention that but okay", she shrugged and mumbled. I sighed, "is he still hot?", she asked.

"Stacy!", I yelled, hitting her with a cushion.

"What?", she asked nonchalantly, "I'm curious. He used to be very hot in high school"

She wasn't wrong.

"Well, he is though", I said shyly making her laugh.

"I knew it!", she said, "so did anything happen?", she asked, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"W-what?"

"I know you heard me Bella"

I thought about Wade. I thought about how it felt seeing him again. Apart from it being weird and awkward, I had expected to feel all the hurt and pain I experienced when he left but I only wish I had gotten around to asking all the questions I never got answers to.

Did I do anything wrong?

Was it my fault he left?

Or did he meet someone new?

I thought about why he decided to see me. He could have just shown up in Michigan, done his work and disappeared. I would have never known he was in the city. Did he just feel obligated to say hi to me after all these years?

I didn't want to jump into conclusions about all the reasons for Wade's actions so I thought about Noah. I needed to call and tell him I was home safe. He must have been worried wick but I was scared if he asked where I was or who I was with, I wouldn't be able to lie.

I shook my head, "No, nothing happened", I said to Stacy.

"Oh, but why? you said he was hot", she asked, sticking her bottom lip out and pouting.

"Stacy, may I remind you that I have a boyfriend?", I asked in a sarcastic tone, "you know Noah? we see him almost every day"

"Oh, you mean the clingy one", she said, rolling her eyes at me.

"Don't be mean", I said, 'he's not clingy"

"I'm not being mean. He is super protective of you and for some reason, I don't find it cute", she said, "you should have heard his voice on the phone Bella, he sounded like he would murder someone if you weren't returned to him immediately", she added, "by the way, knowing him, he'll either call again soon or come busting in through that door any second now so what are you going to tell him happened?"

I opened my eyes wide. Stacy was right. Noah was always very protective when it came to me and it was something I had gotten used to. I glanced at the door. If he came in and asked where I was, what would I say?

"Hey Noah, so I was kidnapped by some armed men in taxis who took me to an abandoned warehouse where I met my ex and had dinner with him but don't worry, I'm fine now."

No, that would never work.

"Oh! I just decided to have dinner with my ex. I'm talking about the love of my life whom I waited years for before eventually giving up and dating you"

I pouted. That would never work either.

"Noah can't know", I said soberly, "I have to lie"

"I'm glad you know this", Stacy said, "now tell me more about Wade, what was he wearing? what is he...", her words were cut short by rapt knocks at the door.

"You know, he took more time than I expected to get here", she said.

I gave her a warning stare, "be nice Stacy", I said as I stood and walled over to the door, opening it.

Noah stormed in.

"Where the hell have you been Bella?!", he asked in an edgy tone.

The dark pools in his eyes seemed to get wider as he glared at me. My stomach churned as I stared at his angry face, His expression was stony, his eyes narrowed and his jaw was clenched. I couldn't tell him the truth and if I lied, I had to make sure it was at least believable.

"I had to get a couple of stuff at a store", I lied, "you know phone accessories and all. Oh and I met Megan, from work on the way so she followed me, we talked, got caught up, I didn't realize how late it was", i added quickly, hoping he won't catch on to how I had begun to slowly break my fingernails, a nervous trait I had developed over the years.

Thankfully, He didn't notice

"Do you have any idea how worried I was?", he asked, his tone still laced with anger- although his demeanor was slightly calm.

"I'm sorry, I haven't set up my phone so I couldn't call or anything, but I'm fine really", I said softly, before reaching out to hold his hand and try to calm him down, "I'm sorry"

Noah's eyes softened and he smiled before pulling me in for a hug, "it's fine"

"Well, I expected way more yelling and a big fight but I'm glad that's over", Stacy said as she got up from the couch, "pizza anyone?"