Chapter 119: Home is Where the Heart is

Working with Gavin became second nature to Tasha. She enjoyed driving around with him, even doing paperwork with him. He was still a douche, but not nearly as bad as he once was. She was glad that she didn't work with him all week though, since he still enjoyed making her go crazy. She was pleasantly surprised with how well Gavin and Connor had been getting along. They even made small talk. She was proud of both of them for setting aside their differences.

After a lengthy case, Gavin and Tasha stopped to get food on the ferry while on their way back to the precinct. After Tasha had finished eating she went to the railing of the ship, watching the water move beneath her.

Gavin smiled slightly as he went over to her, "I know that face. What's on your mind, Tash?"

Tasha shook her head, "It's nothing..."

"Nothing is ever nothing with you, sweetheart." Gavin chuckled, "C'mon, what's on your mind?"

Tasha sighed, "You know I'm getting married."

"Really?! I had NO idea!" Gavin pushed her slightly. "No shit, Sherlock. It's not something easy to forget." Gavin rolled his eyes.

"Well — Hank is walking me down the aisle, and he is also Connor's best man."

"Okaaaay?" Gavin furrowed his brows trying to figure out why she was bringing this up now.

"And you know, since I'm the bride I have my bridesmaids."

"I didn't know you had any female friends." Gavin teased.

"Ha ha." Tasha rolled her eyes. "Anywaaays, I — I was thinking, right? I mean, we're pretty close and... and you're one of my best friends."

Gavin smiled, glancing over at her. He noticed Tasha's cheeks were flushed in embarrassment, and she was gazing down at the water. "Tasha, What is it?"

Tasha took a deep breath, "Would... do... I want you to be up there with me."

Gavin blinked a few times. "Huh?"

"I — well, you mean a lot to me, yknow? And I want you to stand with the bridesmaids because you're my best friend too." Tasha's blush deepened as she turned her face away. "I — it was stupid of me to ask. You probably don't want to come to the wedding anyways, and —"

"Tasha."

"— I shouldn't have even brought it up. I mean it's not like you'd wanna stand up there anyways, let alone—"

She was rambling, not listening to his words.

"Tasha!"

Gavin grabbed onto her shoulders, pulling her to face him. "Calm down."

"Sorry." Her blush deepened. "Just forget I said anything, okay?"

"Do you honestly think I wasn't going to come to your wedding?"

"Well, I — I wanted you too but I get it if you don't want to. Really, it's fine." She forced a smile, but Gavin saw right through it.

"You're a terrible liar, sweetheart." Gavin shook his head. "Do you forget I'm a Detective too?"

Tasha opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by Gavin.

"I would — I'd be honoured to be up there with you, Tasha." He gazed down at her, the smile that came to her face reassuring himself that all of this was worth it if she was happy.

"R-really? You don't have to—"

"I want to." Gavin ruffled her hair. "Besides, I wanna watch you trip up close."