Chapter Fifty-Eight

Wanting to cheer up Renata in any way that he could, Adelmo decided that after his shift that he was going to bring home some sweets, hoping that he could actually get his little sister to eat something

Wanting to cheer up Renata in any way that he could, Adelmo decided that after his shift that he was going to bring home some sweets, hoping that he could actually get his little sister to eat something. It didn't take much time as he didn't have to go out of his way, so he wasn't too late arriving home after his shift. However, as he arrived on the street where he lived, it was normally quite dark, especially at the hour that he was arriving home, but at the end of the way, there was light pouring out onto the pavement. Specifically, there was light pouring out of his flat onto the pavement as the door to his place was wide open.

Immediately, Adelmo found his senses to be heightened as he remained on edge, making his way towards his place. He went for his wand automatically, hoping that Renata was around, walking Enzo and had just forgotten to close the door behind her. But as he looked up and down the pavement, there was no sign of her or Enzo, not a sound to be heard, even as he approached the flat. Usually, Enzo barked up a storm for his greeting which usually annoyed the ever-living hell out of him, but to not hear it, was even worse all of a sudden.

With his wand drawn, Aldemo entered his flat and called Renata's name, hoping for an immediate answer. However, it remained quiet and there was no sign of her as he walked in further. He didn't know whether to enter the living room or the kitchen first but decided to take a chance with the living room, only to find Enzo asleep on the sofa.

"Enzo!" he called out, clapping his hands together to wake the dog and get him down, but with the first clap of his hands, Enzo didn't budge. That was highly unlikely because as much as Adelmo didn't really care for the little dog, Enzo was always ready to greet him, even if he was in a deep sleep. Making his way over, Aldemo reached out his wand cautiously to give the dog a poke and when that didn't stir him, he used his hand to check if he was breathing.

As soon as Adelmo's hand came to rest on Enzo's chest, the dog's head jerked up and over, his teeth digging right into Adelmo's wrist. The man cried out, yanking his hand back that launched Enzo off the sofa and onto the floor. With all four legs sprawled out, Enzo looked around the room in a panic before racing into the kitchen at lightning speed.

Cursing the dog's name under his breath, Adelmo collected his wand off the floor that he had dropped during the instance of pain and made his way towards the kitchen to heal himself and deal with Enzo. Where the teeth had dug in, had torn the flesh leaving blood to trail behind him on the floor as it dripped down.

"Renata, if you're in here, please don't come to the kitchen!" he called out. "Enzo bit me and there's blood ever-"

He stopped as soon as he spotted a piece of parchment paper that was on the kitchen table, something that hadn't been there when he had left for work earlier and he could quickly recognise his sister's handwriting. Ignoring the throbbing pain in his own hand that could have easily been fixed within seconds with his own healing magic, Adelmo couldn't bring himself to focus on anything else besides the letter in hand.