fifty-eight

58

VIOLA BENJAMIN

you're so pretty[9:58am]

you're so pretty
[9:58am]

i know
[10:02am]

i really think you're the most beautiful girl ever
[10:02am]

i don't blame you
[10:02am]

i could stare at you all day
[10:03am]

okay, now you're stepping dangerously into stalker territory my friend
[10:03am]

says the one who ogles me from across the room
[10:03am]

what are you implying?
[10:03am]

you could never stay away from all of this
[10:03am]

there's not much there
[10:04am]

please continue, i love it when you deflate a man's ego
[10:04am]

you're hardly a man
[10:04am]

maybe a small puppy
[10:04am]

cause i'm adorable?
[10:05am]

cause you always follow me around
[10:05am]

false
[10:05am]

VIOLA WHIPS HER HEAD up at the sound of three solid knocks against the classroom door, distracting her and other students from their notebooks as it swings open and occupies the undying attention of each senior. Ben saunters inside with a lazy swagger in his step, a bright smile moulding into the soft features of his gorgeous face as he shoves his hands into the front pockets of his black school slacks.

Viola rolls her eyes with a scoff, undoubtedly earning a number of confused glances from her fellow classmates, the kind of attention that causes her to sink further into her chair as she scratches the top of her head. Viola's teacher raises a single bushy brow at the sight of Ben, sliding his reading glasses from the bridge of his nose and down onto the newly polished wood of his desk.

"Can I help you?" Mr Jenkins speaks gruffly, a hand reaching to rub the top of his balding head annoyingly. Ben steps further into the room and rakes his eyes over the quiet students, some staring aimlessly at the ceiling and other slyly using their phones under their desks, thankful for the distracting interruption.

"I'm glad you asked." Ben looks directly at her, a deep crimson blush rising to the skin of her cheeks as the rest of the class turns to do the same. "I need her."

"I'm sorry?" Mr Jenkins questions, placing his hands on his hips in a hopeful intimidating stance as he stares ahead with a bored expression.

"Viola, I need Viola." Ben turns her way and the crimson blush that has burned underneath her skin deepens, the heat travelling down her neck. She sinks impossibly lower in her chair and crosses her arms over her chest, training her eyesight on the messy scrawl in her notebook.

Mr. Jenkins rolls his eyes. "And you need her because?" Mr Jenkins taps his expensive suit shoe impatiently, his jaw clenching as his annoyance doubles by the second at the precious loss of minutes for his lesson.

Suddenly, almost animatedly, a solemn expression replaces Ben's once cheeky smile and he walks slowly towards the teacher's desk, his hands placed on his chest. Viola raises a brow at the gesture, barely catching the quick wink he sends in her direction.

"Look, I didn't want to have to do this here—but clearly you've given me no choice." He lets out a heavy breath. "Viola's alpaca, Gerald, has sadly passed on. I think it'd be best if I take her from class in this time of need, as you can see this is obviously going to affect her." Ben swings a hand toward Viola sat in the middle of the classroom.

She snorts loudly, causing the twenty-something pairs of eyes to turn towards her—Mr. Jenkins included. She quickly composes herself when Ben's widened eyes burn through her and she quickly picks up the hint, attempting to play along. "Not Gerald!" She exclaims dramatically, placing a hand to her forehead and lifting herself abruptly from the uncomfortable plastic chair. She bolts for the door, ignoring the desperate calls from her teacher and skips around the corner, Ben's heavy footsteps following suit.

Once they were out of reach, a series of laughs bubble from deep within Viola's chest and she swings her head back. "An alpaca, really?" She shakes her head at Ben, who was now lazily leaning against the steel grey lockers that line the hallway walls.

"I know," he places a hand over his heart, walking closer towards Viola. "Poor Gerald." He brushes a thumb across her jaw and the simple intimate action causes her to smile.

"So, what is so important that you need to make Mr. Jenkins hate me for the rest of the year?" She leans into his hand, her eyes fluttering shut as he moves closer into her personal space.

He gives her a cheeky smile, "oh nothing, I just wanted to kiss you." He says, before capturing her lips with his own.