Chapter 14

Naruto Shippuden Ep206. Ugh, even the weather is affecting my writing. Tell me what you think.

Chapter 14

Him

But I couldn't rest after that.

Finally sighing, I pulled the covers off my body and sat with my back to the headboard. It was still early. Sunlight was spilling through the floor-to-ceiling windows of the penthouse, playing shadows on the furniture scattered all over the room. My eyes caught something out of place in the room.

On the sideboard of the bed was a familiar paper bag.

My art supplies. The one I bought from the mall yesterday. I specifically remembered dropping them when Zach grabbed my arm but after that fiasco last night, I completely forgot about them.

That's right. I loved painting as a child. That was something I was sure of.

My body went on autopilot, going to the back of the closet. And as I pushed aside clothes from one rack, I surprised myself at an easel lying at the back.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, as if talking to inanimate things were somehow normal. But seeing the easel quickly elevated my mood.

I picked it up and went out to assemble my materials inside the bedroom. I bought everything else I needed from the mall. And as I turned the corner of the room into my personal workspace, I did it with precision as if I'd memorized this ritual by heart. The smell of acrylic paint was calming. The brushes I bought were of different sizes and tips and I knew precisely what their use was for.

I set up the easel and propped up the canvas. Even as I pulled out the palette, I already had an image conjured. My mind already seizing on a strong color mix. When I faced the canvas, my brush movements were quick, accurate—in perfect harmony with my mind. And it was calming.

I wasn't sure how long I was working. But when I set down the materials, I was smiling at my own piece. My wrist was aching and I rubbed it.

When was the last time I painted? It must've been a while. I looked down at the used brushes. They needed to be washed before the paint dried.

"What are you doing?" Zach's voice came from the door.

I must've been too focused at my task because at the sound of his voice, I jumped out of my skin.

"Don't do that!" I clutched at my chest, my eyes flying in his direction.

Zach's eyes were already on the propped canvas, "You found the easel inside the closet." He observed, something in his expression becoming unreadable.

I felt the color rising to my face, "I just... wanted to paint." 

Zach who was leaning against the doorframe, took one look at my cheeks and change was quick on his face.

"May I see it?" But he was already walking towards me and I panicked.

"I-it's not yet finished!" 

Too late. He was beside me before I finished my words and was peeking at my artwork with glimmering interest. It was a flustering experience as Zach didn't say anything for the first few moments. 

"It's not yet finished," I repeated hotly. I couldn't push him away even if I tried. And the man seemed to draw out my embarrassment.

"It's beautiful," he commented. 

My eyes lifted to him, and I reluctantly searched his expression. "Do you mean that?"

And at that moment, he turned. Blue eyes taking me in, before he smiled a brilliant smile.