Chapter 29

Eva

With steady hands, I pinned the sides of my hair up with multiple bobby-pins, being careful not to miss any locks. Mascara coated my eyelashes and I had put some lipgloss on my plump lips to make them look shiny.

It wasn't often that I glammed myself up — not because I didn't like being glammed up, but due to the lack of time and resources. I had a tendency to move on with my life and not experiment with things.

But looking at myself in the mirror, I liked what I saw.

My hair was soft and perfectly styled. And my makeup made me look less tired and drawn. I almost looked... beautiful.

A month had passed and today was the day Alessandro was welcoming Gabriel and his family into the Estate. I had never met them. All I knew was that he had a wife and a little boy around the same age as Arianna. I presumed they were lovely but I didn't have any real idea.

Alessandro was hosting some kind of welcoming meal for when they arrived. Rosie was getting all the food ready, Alessandro and his men were discussing the plan of the night and Arianna and I were getting changed. I had got her into a pink dress that Alessandro requested and I'd french-braided her curly brown hair.

"Why aren't I allowed lipstick?" Her squeaky voice whined from the bed behind me.

I chuckled and looked over my shoulder at her pouty face. "Because your Daddy doesn't want you to grow up too fast."

Arianna hopped off the bed and dragged her feet across the floor as she walked towards me. I picked her petite body up and placed her on my lap.

"But you can't control how fast someone grows up."

A deep voice spoke from behind me, shocking Arianna and I, and causing us to look over our shoulders. "But you can try."

Alessandro.

He was wearing dress pants and a black shirt that displayed all the curves of his chest. He was so broad and muscular... my eyes couldn't help but wander down. And he knew the effect he had on me because there was a huge smirk plastered on his handsome face.

"All ready?" He asked with his eyebrow raising playfully.

Arianna sighed and hopped off my knee, facing him. "I want some lipstick."

He tilted his head to the side and frowned. "Why, baby? You're beautiful without lipstick."

Arianna looked down and fiddled with her fingers. "But I still want some."

There was thoughtful silence for a few moments. I could see the concentration in Alessandro's face before his eyes darted towards me. "What do you think, Eva?"

Arianna immediately looked at me with pleading eyes. Begging me to accept her request. I grinned and shrugged my shoulders. "I think it's a great idea. I used to love dressing up when I was a little girl."

It was true. I would sneak into my mother's room and steal all her high-heels, makeup and jewellery. I'd pretend I was her while I walked around my bedroom.

She never shouted at me though. It was something that baffles me. Even when there was stress in every corner of her life — she found time to be patient with me.

Alessandro raised his eyebrow at Arianna who was smiling widely up at him. He couldn't stay serious for long when he was around her playful face; he grinned and sighed to himself. "Okay but not too bright."

Arianna leaped up into the air and screeched excitedly. Alessandro chuckled and turned around to leave. "I'll see you guys in the kitchen," were his final words before he left us to finish off.