Chapter Fifteen: The Dead Marshes

Upon coming back to consciousness for the second time, Robin waited a moment, keeping his eyes closed. But next to the crackling of a fire and cold, damp morning air, there was no sound of wolves.

Thank Eru.

Robin opened his eyes then, groaning against the sudden brightness. Blinking a few times, he sat up slowly, wincing as his entire body screamed in protest.

"Morning, sleeping beauty. Glad to see you're finally awake."

Glaring over toward the voice, Robin gave Elladan his darkest and sleepiest stink-eye. Beside his twin, Elrohir snorted. "Sleeping beauty. Sure."

"How are you feeling?"

Elanor came over, kneeling by his side. Her red hair was pulled back in a braid, although a single strand fell over her eyes.

Robin grunted. "Like I've been dragged through the sewers, beat up by an angry king, and used as a chew toy for a crazy-eyed werewolf. So... pretty normal."

The Ranger arched an eyebrow, though faint amusement danced through her eyes. "You passed out again."

"I could tell." Pulling up his shirt, Robin took in the array of bruises forming across his chest, colored from black to blue. Groaning, he dropped it back down. "I hurt."

"Oh, lovely," Thralor grunted from near the fire. "Now we get to listen to him complain as well as annoy."

Robin gazed at him darkly.

"Keep it down, brother," Gimli grumbled. "Let's not start this morning off with fighting. I didn't get enough sleep for that."

Robin scoffed. "Look who's complaining now."

"I think everyone should just take deep breaths," Elanor pushed herself up, moving over to her bag and pulling out a few loaves of bread. "Aragorn said for everyone to eat and pack up. We'll start up again as soon as he gets back."

Blinking, Robin glanced around, realizing for the first time that the king was gone. "Ai, where is o'l Hope?"

Elanor shot him a warning look. "With Aria and Legolas."

"And where are they?"

The Ranger's face tensed a little at that and she dropped her gaze, shrugging slightly. "Gathering... firewood."

Robin stared at her. "You're hiding something."

"If was your buisness, I would tell you." Elanor snapped the last words and Robin blinked. Her face flushing a little, Elanor tossed him a hunk of the bread. "No offense."

"Of course, none taken," Robin narrowed his eyes at the bread. "I don't trust any of you either."

"Oh, don't hurt Hood's feelings," Elladan crowed with his mouth full. "So the thief has a heart after all."

Gaze snapping up, Robin glared at the elf. "Ah, shut it, you orc."

Elladan only cracked a wider grin.

There was a sudden snapping of twigs and Robin broke his glare from the ellon, over toward the sound. Out of the mist came both the three companions, neither having any firewood.

Robin shot Elanor an arched eyebrow. She bit her lip.

"Okay." Stuffing his bread into the pocket of his cloak, Robin stood, despite his screaming everything. Tilting his head, he gazed at the king. "Throwing a ball out there?"

Aragorn's grey eyes flashed. "I'm sorry?"

"See, I was told you three were going to get some firewood, though I guess it must either be invisible, or you're all blind." Robin gestured to the trees. "So what, did you three just want to go sightseeing?"