Chapter 16: Not So Chivalrous

When in doubt, go to the Library.

Katherine spent most of her afternoon in there, working on a Charms essay. She found it the most effective because there weren't any distractions.

Stretching her back, she looked up, seeing that there were barely any people around. Looking out the window, she noticed that it was much darker now. Gathering her things, she left quickly, heading towards their Common Room.

As she was walking down one of the corridors, she passed a group of boys. Katherine didn't pay much attention to them, but then someone called after her.

"Hey, Hufflepuff!"

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion but turned back around anyway, maybe they needed help or something.

"Yes?"

One of the boys – who had an untied scarlet and golden tie around his neck –, stood up, walking up to her with a smirk.

She guessed he was a 6th year because he looked around her age, but she didn't remember seeing him in class, nor the Great Hall when the pairs were announced.

His friends stayed behind, watching them from their seats on the windowsill.

"You're Katherine Bright, correct?"

"Yeah, and you are..."

"Oh, right!" He grinned. "My name is Aiden Stone."

The Gryffindor boy grabbed her hand, placing a kiss on the back of it.

Katherine pressed her lips together and pulled her hand back slowly.

"Nice to meet you, Aiden," she nodded. "Can I help you with something?"

"Actually," he took a step closer, "I wanted to ask if you'd like to go out with me sometime."

The Hufflepuff's eyes widened while Aiden was wearing a confident smirk on his face, his bright blue eyes glowing.

"Uhm," she cleared her throat, "that's very nice of you, Aiden, but I'm afraid I have to say no. I guess you haven't heard about –"

"Draco doesn't have to know," he murmured, taking another step closer.

She clenched her jaw, taking a step backwards.

"As I said, thanks, but no thanks."

"And as I said," Aiden spoke sternly, "Draco doesn't have to know. It can be our dirty, little secret," he whispered.

Katherine's eyes hardened and she went to take another step away from him, but Aiden grabbed her wrist.

"Come on, babe, don't be like this."

He towered over her, still smirking.

"I know you want to..."

He started leaning down and she was afraid that she would break her own neck trying to pull away from him.

"Hey, Pebble!" She heard another person's voice.

Aiden took in a sharp breath, his features turning from confident to annoyed. He turned around to see who interrupted him.

"It's Stone."

"Do I look like I care, Pebble?"

Pansy was standing a few steps away from them, her arms crossed.

"What the hell do you want, Pansy? I'm kind of busy right now," he said, tightening his grip on Katherine's wrist.

"Yeah, I see. What is it, Aiden? You ran out of girls to fuck, so you're going after ones who are already taken?"

"Shut up, Parkinson," he growled.

Aiden's friends just stared at the scene before them, enjoying every minute.

"You must be pretty desperate," she continued.

"Cool, now would you leave us alone?"

"No. In fact, I would like you to let go of my friend, she clearly doesn't want your company. But like, why would she, when she already has Draco?" Pansy smirked at him.

"Yeah, it must be great to be with a Death Eater," Aiden chuckled lowly.

Katherine quickly grabbed her wand out of her bag with her free hand, pointing it to the bottom of his chin.

"Come again?"

Aiden's eyebrows shot up as he looked down at the Hufflepuff in doubt.

"Are you serious?"

She pressed her wand to his skin, narrowing her eyes at him.

"I don't know, do I look like I'm serious?"

"You wouldn't."

"Try me," she shot back.

The Gryffindor clenched his jaw.

"Now be nice, and let me go."

His blue eyes became darker, but he dropped her hand.

"Thanks," Kat smiled, walking over to Pansy. "Shall we go now?"

The Slytherin nodded, turning back to Aiden one last time.

"Oh, and Pebble," she smiled threateningly. "If I were you, I would watch my back from now on. You never know what's lurking in the dark..."

With that said, she laced her arms with Katherine's and they began their journey back to their Common Room.

"You surprised me back there, Kat," Pansy smirked in her direction. "Pointing your wand at him like that. I didn't know Hufflepuff's could do things like that."

"I suppose you don't know much about us, then. But you know, the Sorting Hat did consider putting me into other houses too. I asked to be a Hufflepuff."

"You did?" She asked back, surprised. "Why?"

"Because I liked that house the most, and I think that loyalty, patience and fair play are some of the most important things in life. And I like yellow as well, but that wasn't my main reason, of course," she chuckled.

"So you could have been a Slytherin too?" Pansy grinned.

"No, not Slytherin," she shook her head with a smile.

"Shame."

After arriving at the portrait and saying the password, they walked inside the Common Room.

Draco was sitting there with Tony, they were playing Wizard Chess.

"And... Checkmate," he smirked at the Hufflepuff, leaning back.

"Oh, come on!" Tony sighed.

"What can I say? I'm a pro."

Pansy strolled over to Tony, leaning down to hug him from behind.

"You'll beat him one day, don't worry," she pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Sure Pansy, go ahead, plant false hopes inside his head," Draco grinned.

Katherine smiled at them as she walked closer. She yawned, feeling tired.

"I think I'm going to go to bed now, thanks for tonight, Pansy," she smiled at her, and she nodded her head. "Goodnight, guys."

"I'll come with you," Draco said, standing up.

"Wait," Pansy called after him. "Could you stay for a few minutes? I want to talk to you about something," she said, her eyes serious.

He narrowed his eyes, but nodded, sitting back down on the sofa while Katherine walked upstairs.

"Okay, so the thing is..."