T H I R T Y T H R E E

LINA

"Doctor Lina!" Diane called from the lobby, catching my attention.

"Give me one second Mrs. Moreno," I said, excusing myself from the elderly woman I was examining. I headed down the hall and to the lobby only to find Steer, Jareth and Leo standing before the receptionists desk.

I looked at the three, already growing annoyed at the presence. However, Steer was the only one not looking at me, he was looking at Leslie, who looked right back at him. You could almost see the sparks and smell the arousal.

"What? What? Seriously? Why are you three here again?" I snapped at them, standing in front of Leslie and cutting off their stare down. 

"Look, I don't know what you did to Donovan but the dude is acting like a complete dick," Steer said, trying to look past me to catch another glimpse of Leslie. "You should try to patch things up with him."

"Okay, yeah, you three need to leave, now," I snapped, shutting my eyes to calm my rage. "I do not have time to hear this right now, I have patients waiting for me in the back. You want your boss to change, then call him out on his shit. That's no longer my responsibility."

The three seemed a bit astonished at my reaction and made no move to leave. No longer waiting for them to say something, I turned and began to head down the hallway. 

"He's upset," Jareth finally spoke up, catching my attention. I froze but made no move to turn around. "He should be happier he doesn't have to fight anymore but...but ever since you left he's just been in a bad mood."

"He made no effort to convince me to stay," I called, turning my head to speak to them over my shoulder.

"Can't you do anything?" Leo asked.

I spun around fully and glared at them. "I already threw away all of my pride the last time I spoke with him. I'm not going to beg him to be in a better mood."

"But--" the three began but I raised my hand, stopping them. 

"No! No more, no more, alright? I've had enough of this back and fourth crap. Why don't you three talk some sense into him? I was never really good at that anyway," I told them. "Leave, now. Just go. I don't want to talk about this anymore or ever."

* * * * *

"I saw the way you were looking at Steer," I said, putting Leslie on the spot during our break. "Do you know him from somewhere?"

"Er--" she began, setting down her sandwich and laughing nervously. "Well...I've seen him...around."

"Spill the beans," Diane said, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

Leslie sighed heavily. "Alright, alright. I've never told you guys this, ever, but I've been...well, I've been going to anger management class for a year now," she admitted, both me and Diane completely shocked.  "I met Steer there too, he's in the same class."

"You have anger issues, Leslie?" I asked, surprised by the news. Leslie has always been the sweetest and kindest person, I would've never expected her to have anger issues. 

"Yeah, they've been working out very well. I haven't spoken to him before though, we just...see each other in class and that's it," she admitted. "I was hoping to not have to tell you guys about it, ever. I don't particularly like talking about it."

"Wow, you do a very good job at managing it, I would've never suspected it from you," Diane said, biting into her salad.

"Now, humor me, Lina, but what are you doing?" Leslie asked, successfully changing the subject.

"Excuse me?" I asked, picking through my pasta, trying to avoid eye-contact.

"What are you doing?"

"Could it be...?" Diane began, catching my attention. "Do you still like Donovan?"

"Enough, I am not talking about this," I said quickly. 

"Goddammit," Diane cursed. "That boy is the reason I'm finally getting gray hairs."

Diane, after break, unexpectedly said she had to leave, for an emergency. I didn't try to stop her so Mia came in and took her spot at the receptionist desk.

* * * * *

THIRD POV

"Humor me, Donovan, what are you doing?" Diane snapped upon entering her home, catching Ethan and Donovan in their personal at-home-gym. 

"Working out," Donovan said dryly, lifting weights in each hand. 

"Don't get smart with me, Donovan," Diane said sharply. "I am in no mood for your nonsense. I am actually tired of your foolish decisions!"

"What now?" Donovan sighed, setting down the weights.

"When will you admit that you love her?" she shouted, slamming her purse down, her sudden outburst freezing Ethan in his place. 

Donovan looked at her, confused. "Love her? I don't love her," he said defensively. "She left! How is any of this my fault?"

"Tell me, Donovan, what did you feel when you two were working together? You never even repaid her kindness and now--" she said, giving him the harshest glare. "You can't even admit your own feelings for her."

"She found someone else," he snapped. "I was too late. That's it."

"Aaron Hansen?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest and watching as Donovan nodded his head. "She just found out that your loyal Vice is her biological father."

The room went incredibly silent and Donovan stood there, trying to process what she just said. "What?"

"Enough of your nonsense, Donovan, you're about to lose the one thing that truly made you happy in life," she said. "I am your mother so don't even try to deny it. I've seen the way you look at her."

"No, it's too late," Donovan said, shaking his head and taking a seat at the bench. "She moved on, I moved on. That's it. Why are you trying to change that?" he snapped, standing up and moving past her to storm out of the room.

"She still loves you, Donovan," she said, causing him to freeze in his tracks. "I'm only going to tell you this one more time; don't miss your chance."

She still loves you.

Don't miss your chance.

No, it's too late. Just move on. Move on.

Hello everyone :) I hope you enjoyed this update. Updates will start to be slow for a while. Please be patient with me!

Also, if any of you didn't notice, I hinted for, possibly, a second book. Comment and let me know if you want to know more and I'll go more in depth at the end of the next chapter!

Please, like and comment as always and please follow ! Until next time <3