Chapter 1

“Hey, Jake,” I said, happily acknowledging my best friend's presence.

“Hey, Aimes,” he said. He hugged me quickly and started talking about the truck.

“Can you check my car?” I asked when he finished telling me what all he'd done with the truck.

“Yeah, what's wrong with it?” He asked as my dad pulled the cruiser into the driveway.

“I don't know, that's kinda why I asked you,” I said, sticking my tongue out at him slightly.

“It's nothing major. I can fix it tomorrow if you wanna come hang out,” he said. Bella got out of the car and ran inside while Dad and Billy started goofing off. We headed inside so Dad could order a pizza for dinner while we watched the game.

“Jake, wanna take Allie and go pick up the pizza. The delivery boy called in sick,” Dad said as he walked into the living room and sat down on the couch beside Billy.

“Yeah, sure,” Jake said, standing up and motioning for me to get up. Dad handed Jake $30 and we left.

“Come on,” Jake said, becoming increasingly more annoyed with the driver in front of us.

“Shh, it's okay Jake,” I said calmly. It was almost silent, like I was scared he'd hurt me if he actually heard me. I knew Jake would never lay a hand on me though, so I don't know why I was so quiet.

“It's my food they're messing with here,” he said. I rolled my eyes at him as he pulled into the parking lot of the pizza place.

“Are you coming in or what?” He asked.

“Sure,” I said, climbing out of the car. We walked in side by side and Jake paid for our food within a few minutes of our arrival.

“Thanks,” I said, smiling slightly at Josh, the kid working.

“Smile more, Allie. It looks good on you,” he said.

“Not in the mood, Josh,” I replied as Jake looked at me skeptically.

“Want me to beat him up babe?” Jake asked. He's been calling me babe for a while even though we aren't actually together.

“No, he's cool,” I said, rolling my eyes at Jake as we headed out towards the car.

The ride home was entertaining to say the least. Dad ordered pizza from the place in La Push for a reason, but neither Jake nor I cared. We sang along to the radio station, jamming out and enjoying ourselves.

When we got back, the game had already started, and the Mariners were losing by one run.

“We come bearing the gift of food,” Jake announced as we walked in.

“Took you long enough,” Dad said, causing Billy to laugh at us.

“We were not gone that long,” I said, taking the food out to the kitchen and getting myself a plate with some mild wings and blue cheese. I grabbed a piece of pizza and added it to the plate before the boys retrieved their food. I grabbed a soda from the fridge and somehow managed to be the last one in the living room. I sat down on the loveseat beside Jake and started eating as we watched the game.

“Where's Bella?” I asked, noticing her absence for the first time since I got home.

“Upstairs, sleeping off her jetlag,” he said. I nodded in response before the game came back on and we went back to watching.

After we ate, I cleaned up the plates and dealt with the leftovers. I returned to living room and sat down with Jake before he pulled me into his side.

“When are you two just going to accept that you like each other and go out?” Dad asked, looking at us. I felt Jake shrug as a blush started to burn my cheeks slightly.

“I like what we have going right now, so let's not ruin it,” Jake said. I nodded in agreement and we went back to watching the game.