37 | Alternate Ending Epilogue

love

noun

a strong or passionate affection for another person

•••

The young man watches lovingly as his wife's hands move through his daughter's h/c hair, smoothing it back and braiding it into two plaits down her back.

"Are you ready to go to Uncle Chuck's and Grandfather's?" the young woman asks her daughter as she ties up the second braid. The girl's older brother tugs the girl's hands, his blond hair nearly reaching his shoulders.

"Alby, would would you like me to do your hair for you, too?" the woman asks jokingly, and her son frowns. He tugs his sister's hands more persistently, making her chocolate eyes sparkle, and they run off together towards the house only about fifty metres away.

Four houses in Victor's Village are occupied now. The first, Minho's, is the furthest away, but he always comes to visit the families. The second belongs to Lizzy, or Sonya, and her father, who she takes care of after her mother passed away two years ago. The third belongs to Chuck and his father, and the fourth is the most crowded. It holds the mother and the father, and their two children.

"Harriet's growing up, isn't she?" the young woman remarks to her husband, smiling at her two children as they race towards her brother and father's door.

"Of course she is, love," the man replies and he sets his hand on his wife's stomach. "She'll be a great older sister."

The woman sets her head on her husband's shoulder. "When do you think we'll tell them?"

"When they're ready to know," her husband replies.

The woman nods and sighs deeply. "I've decided on a name for the baby," she puts in.

"And what's that?" he kisses his wife's forehead.

"Gally," she answers, "after the boy died to save us."

"I love it," he replies. "Just as I love you."

The woman smiles warmly. "I love you too, Newt."

the end