Chapter 13

The next day, Bella was gone when I got up. I knew she had come home because I'd talked to her for about ten seconds. When she got home that night, I found out she had spent the day with Jake.

That became a habit for the two of them. They spent every waking moment together. I tried not to take it personally, but Bella just swooped in and stole the only true friend I had.

"Bella," I called, but of course, she didn't answer. I opened the door to her bedroom, but she was gone. I rolled my eyes and headed down to the kitchen. I picked up the phone, dialing Jake's home number, hoping I wouldn't have to spend my Saturday alone.

"Hello, Black Residence," Billy said.

"Hey Billy," I said.

"Hey, Allie. Jake's out in the garage with Bella," he said.

"Do you mind if I come down and talk to him?" I asked.

"Should I warn him?" He asked.

"That's up to you," I said.

"Um, Allie, I'm really sorry that Jake is doing this to you," Billy said.

"I'm gonna come talk to him about it, but thank you," I said.

"I'll see you then," he said.

I got in my car, driving the short distance a little faster than necessary. I tried to maintain my cool, but I was so irritated it wasn't funny.

"Hey Billy," I said, walking onto the porch where Billy was sitting and talking with Sam.

"Hey Allie. They're in the garage," Billy said.

"Thanks," I said, nodding politely at Sam before walking down to the garage.

"She's feisty," Sam said as I walked away.

"She's the one," Billy said as if that explained everything.

"Jacob Ephraim get your ass out here," I snapped.

"What do you want?" Bella asked, walking out of the garage.

"To talk to Jake," I said. I haven't seen him in the last few weeks, so when he walked out I was a little shocked. He'd filled out, gaining some muscle mass that surprised me.

"What's up Aimes?" He asked.

"Just going to ditch me and act like the first sixteen years of our lives means nothing to you?" I asked. I had my hands clenched in fists, but they were stuffed in my jacket pocket so I couldn't hurt anyone.

"Aimes, you know that's not what I'm doing," he said.

"Then what are you doing, because to me it seems like you're giving me up for Bella," I said.

"Why the hell does it matter how much time I spend with Bella? It's not like we're dating," he said.

"You're right. It's not. I don't know why losing my best friend would make me feel so terrible. Don't call me the next time you're home alone though. Maybe Bella can come cook you and your sidekicks lunch, or did you ditch them for her too?" I asked. I turned and walked away, wiping at my eyes quickly.

"Allie," Billy said, causing me to stop just before getting into my car.

"Are you okay?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, I will be. I'm going to head home. I'll see you the next time you visit the flat screen Billy," I said. "It was nice to see you again Sam."

They both nodded, not knowing how to comfort me. I got into the car and drove home, becoming increasingly frustrated with Jake. I tried not to cry, but thinking about it just made it worse. I wanted to call Quil, but I knew even if he could distract me, it'd just hurt worse since we'd always been a group of four.