Chapter 53

Layla's POV

"Layla?"

I hear Heidi's voice behind me and I sigh, turning around, meeting her green eyes, a frown etched on her face.

"Why are you avoiding me? I thought we were on good terms now." She crosses her arms with a sigh.

It had been three days since the Jack situation and I was still feeling pretty suckish about it.

I purse my lips, rubbing my eyes tiredly. "I haven't, I've just been–"

"Mourning about your ex?" She cuts me off, cocking a brow.

I roll my tongue over my teeth, and turn around.

"Okay, I'm sorry!" She shrieks, taking a step forward.

"It's just that.. I thought that we could be proper sister's now and talk to each other, but you're always avoiding me.." she says quietly and I turn, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Heidi, I can't help you with Killian, I seriously–"

She rolls her eyes before cutting me off. "Alright, fine. You don't have to help me, I'm sure I can manage on my own... but promise me you don't like him?"

"I promise." I say truthfully and her eyes flash with happiness.

"Right now I don't think I can like anyone after Jack, I can barely move on from him." I then sigh, shrugging.

"Don't be silly." She giggles. "It won't take too long to move on and I'm sure you'll find someone at my party."

"Party?" I furrow my brows in confusion.

"Layla, you haven't forgotten have you?" She giggles, placing her hands on her hips.

"Uh.." I scratch my chin with a frown.

"My birthday!" She laughs shaking her head. "I can't believe you've forgotten."

I force out an awkward laugh. "Oh yeah, uh.. August the sixth?"

"Eighth." She rolls her eyes, her smile unmoving. "I guess I'm not too surprised I mean we weren't the closest sisters, but oh well, we can still try." She smiles, her eyes glowing.

When I don't respond, she takes a step closer.

"Will you forgive me for everything, Layla?" She says, her voice holding sincerity.

I stare at her for a moment, searching her eyes, but they give nothing away.

"I don't know if you're being serious." I frown.

Her smile falters and she takes a step forward, placing her hand on my shoulder.

"I know I really haven't been the best sister but I really do regret everything and-and.. I miss you.." her voice trails off and she bites her lip.

"...I miss how we used to be when we were younger." She murmurs, and I can't help the slight annoyance that washes over me.

"Then why did you treat me like that?" I cross my arms, my eyes not leaving hers.

She shrugs, fiddling with her fingers.

"Well that's not good enough." My gaze hardens, and I walk away.

"No wait!" I hear her heels clicking after me and I turn again, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Please can we just talk in my room?" She asks, desperately, her eyes shining with tears.

"I know I've still messed up when you came here, but I can't help it, I-I.." she sighs. "You know what I mean, right?" Her voice cracks slightly, her brows furrowed.