Anything- VII

Walking through the halls after Mr. Hastens' class, I could still hear the continuous whispers that seemed to echo from one mouth to another. For a moment I paused and glanced to the laughing students. Quietly my eyes lied upon the source.

The flyer watched patiently back. It wasn't Karri's, but one of the new ones that was in circulation. This one had black censor bars lying over the girl's nether regions. For once it was refreshing to not see the cloth mold of a woman's genitals.

It seemed the fire had ignited the more creative side of my school. I realized there was a fine print stenciled into this one.

Censoring for the better good since the photography club seems to be dick whipped and corrupted.

Sincerely, the common folk

"Can you believe it? It's so accurate! And everyone's making their own versions too! I emailed a photo to Beth already." a girl whispered roughly and fought to stifle her laugh. And it didn't take me long to realize why. Maggie stood just a mere few feet away... her gym bag dropped to the ground.... another poster spread wide out on the bulletin board.

My demon smiled.

"This isn't funny!" she snarled to those who stood closest, tearing the poster loose. Her eyes scanned the crowd furiously; meeting mine for only a split second. But I was nobody... just a wallflower watching back. She didn't know me, and she didn't know Karri. And so her eyes moved on.

My notebook giggled within my side-bag. Maggie liked to pretend she was some wealthy foreign student. And she acted accordingly. She developed a somewhat English accent, and had acquired a new set of words that included things like bollocks, arse, and poppycock.

And she had kept up her charade so well... even her closest of friends didn't know otherwise. Unfortunately for Maggie we shared 3rd through 5th grade together, and I was forced to attend a couple of her slumber parties. In fact, she even puked on my shoes. But it was all the same, she had an American dad and mom, lived a normal middle class life, and managed to elude any suspicion that she was anything but classy and unique.

She mocked others for not being up to her standards, yet for the first time ever she was the butt of the joke.

My hand softly patted my bag, pacifying the demon inside. Step by step I walked the halls back to my locker. And it was plainly obvious to hear how much further the joke had spread, even though it had only been two days. Apparently it was already on the true blue internet; it had moved beyond facebook, and onto other image hosting sites. It was becoming quite popular. But also quite dangerous....

I knew Karri never expected it to go this far. And worse, the potential punishment if she was caught was slowly rising. Even though there weren't as many posters decorating the hall as before... the phone screens around me were lit up with a familiar image. The snarling pussy cats were viral.

Carefully I eyed a teacher on his cellphone that I was about to pass in the hallway I wandered. Without revealing any telltale movements; I slowed each step until our passing point allowed me to hear a good jist of what was being said.

"No. No. Just get it off the site! We don't want any parents freaking out any more than they are. And for the love of god!" tearing ensued from behind me, "Get these posters off the wall!"

.

.

"Karri?" I raised my eyebrow. She turned around with her guilty frown. "It's getting worse, isn't it?"