Chapter Thirty-Eight

The darkness surrounded me, and for a moment I struggled against it. I must've blacked out after the removal because the last thing I remember was Luca being dragged away.

This brought back terrible memories of the last time I couldn't see, of after I killed Brett.

I didn't want this life again. I didn't want to be helpless.

So, I focused on something - anything that could bring me back to the real world.

There were two uneven thumps - beats. Heartbeats.

My heart raced.

Two of them? Did that mean that Luca still alive?

I struggled even harder against the darkness, and finally opened my eyes. Damon stood over me, his eyes wide. And, I frowned.

It was just him - not Luca.

He cupped my face, brushing his fingers against my skin. "You're okay." He breathed in relief. His shoulders falling forward, relaxing.

"Luca... Luca... Where is he?" I asked. My shoulders heaved up and down. I needed to find him. I needed to make sure he was okay. The doctors had to heal him - they just had to.

Damon placed his hands on my shoulders, trying to calm me.

I gazed at the medical equipment around the room, trying to find any sign of him. "Where is he?!"

Damon grimaced.

I glared at him. I didn't have time for his grimaces. I stumbled out of the bed and to the door. I rushed down the hallway, peering in every room. But, he wasn't here.

Where was he? Why couldn't I find him?

When I reached the end of the hallway, the faint smell of Valerio filled my nostrils. I busted into the room where his smell was the strongest.

My knees nearly gave out beneath me as I took in Luca's paling body on the bed. An oxygen mask covered his face and tubes protruded from his mouth and nose.

I rushed over to him, but Valerio grabbed onto me, pulling me back. "Mae, stop." I pushed against him, wanting to see Luca. "Stop!" he yelled.

A doctor approached me from behind, gently tugging on my arm. He bowed his head. "Moon Goddess. I need to update you on Luca. Please. Let's do this in my office."

My head snapped to him. "No, we will do it here. I'm not leaving him."

The doctor grimaced, just as Damon did a few minutes ago. Why the hell was everyone grimacing? A growl escaped my throat when Damon entered the room. Everyone was just quiet and not telling me anything. "Tell me!" I screamed at them, tears threatening to fall from my eyes.

The doctor sighed. "Luca... isn't breathing on his own. He's on life support right now. His brain and heart aren't functioning."

I shook my head. No. No. This couldn't be happening. I couldn't lose him.

Tears streamed from my face. My knees collapsed underneath me, but Valerio wrapped his arm around my waist. I pulled myself away from him, running to Luca. My fingers brushed against his cool skin as my lips trembled.

"No!" I screamed out, my voice cracking.

No. He couldn't. He was strong. He wouldn't just die on me.

I shot around, glaring at the doctor. "WHY?! Why couldn't you fix him?! Why isn't he still breathing by himself?!"

It was selfish of me to yell at him. He did all that he could, but I couldn't accept the fact that he was basically lifeless.